Are you tired of your good old Trivial Pursuit, Wit’s End, and other basic trivia board games? Don’t get me wrong, there is a reason why these games survived the test of time! However, maybe it’s time to step outside of the box and open yourself up to other possibilities in the world of trivia board games.
Don’t worry, your board game collection won’t go anywhere while you explore these new options! We’ve compiled a list of some of the best new trivia board games released in 2020. While that wasn’t a great year worldwide, hopefully these games can create a little joy this year.
This time, Blockbuster Returns wins the award for the best game on the list. Though you might find a better game for you, Blockbuster Returns is the most inclusive trivia game mentioned here. “Movies” is a rather general topic, especially considering the game focuses mostly on popular movies. Anyone from the age of 14 can play and you don’t have to be a film major to win! The game requires players to work in teams, which is an excellent bonding opportunity that also speeds up the game and makes it more fun.
If movies are not your thing, keep reading to find out about other excellent new trivia board games!
The Best of Christmas Game: Not for Kids
The brand Drumond Park is known for making some of the best kid-friendly games loved by all Brits. This time, the title specifically says, “Not for Kids”, so it’s very out of the box. The Best of Christmas Game: Not for Kids is a trivia game for adults. It is light-hearted and funny; no need to think too hard or spend hours in preparation.
The game will transport you into a hilarious office Christmas party, with drunk colleagues and awkward conversations. Think you’re familiar with the most common office party antics? Then you’re ready for an adult Christmas, courtesy of Drumond Park. Judging by the name, The Best of Christmas Game: Not for Kids is meant to be played around Christmas time.
- SAME GREAT PLAY AS THE CLASSIC BUT WITH A FESTIVE FEEL - From Christmas themed snacks to funny little crackers jokes, how much do you think you know about Christmas?
- WHO'S THE BIGGEST CHRISTMAS GEEK? You are testing your Christmas knowledge to climb up and decorate your side of the Christmas Tree. Answer the questions correctly and be the first one to put the star on the top!
- GREAT CHRISTMAS ENTERTAINMENT - This board game includes a Christmas Tree to decorate, 64 decorations and 55 playing cards with questions
- EASY GAME FOR ALL FAMILY - Easy to learn and fun to play for nearly all ages. Logo's the family game that will entertain family and friends in such an important time of the year
- AGE SUITABILITY & NUMBER OF PLAYERS - This fun board game has been designed for 2+ players and is suitable for adults and kids from 12 years of age
In this game, you get to bet on how many things you think you know. Can you name the most ice cream flavors, for example? Betcha Can’t! If you get the special “Betcha Can’t” card, you must answer your question correctly to win the card. Name all those ice cream flavors and leave everyone in your dust!
What separates Betcha Can’t! from most trivia games is that you are in charge of the trivia element. That makes the game suitable for players of all ages, though the package recommends starting at the age of seven. Betcha Can’t! is suitable for three or more players. The gameplay is quite fast-paced, so you won’t get bored.
This is an excellent game for family gatherings. Play with your parents, children, and siblings. Everyone has a fair chance to win.
- In this game of bets and brags, players bet on how many things they THINK they know
- If you get the "betcha can't," you'll have to answer correctly to prove yourself and win the card
- Fast-paced gameplay keeps everyone involved
- Designed by the winners of the 2018 Young Inventor Challenge at the Chicago Toy and Game Fair!
- For 3 or more players, ages 7 and up
Friends: The One With the Apartment Bet Game
Who doesn’t love Friends? The iconic sitcom might have ended, but it’s never leaving our hearts. If you consider yourself a hardcore fan of the show, much like the majority of the population, then Friends: The One with the Apartment Bet Game is right up your alley. The game is based on the one played in the episode “The One With the Embryos.”
Go through all four categories and a lightning round, and get to keep your apartment. The set includes 250 question cards, a sand timer, two dry erase markers, a dry erase game board, and two jumbo dry erase cards. Friends: The One with the Apartment Bet Game will make a perfect gift for a fan of Friends. Bring it when you want to have a Friends trivia night or surprise your loved ones.
- The ultimate collection of challenges and Friend-themed trivia awaits in this fun 2 pack, including The One with the Ball Game and The One with the Apartment Bet Game!
- The One with the Apartment Bet Game — Get ready for awesome Friends trivia! It's the real game based on the one played in "The One with the Embryos"
- Show off your Friends knowledge with your utter mastery of show trivia in 4 categories, and (naturally!) a lightning round — and you can keep your apartment!
- The One with the Ball Game — Inspired by the Friends episode, compete against friends and family to see how long they can last through 5 rounds of Friends-themed ball challenges
- Set includes Myriads drawstring sport bag, perfect for storing or taking on the go!
Choke On These Notes
Choke On These Notes invites players to guess the song based on a small part of the lyrics. It is a card game with over 230 iconic songs from the past 6 decades. The game features many popular genres and artists. Because of its format, it’s easy to take on road trips and camping trips, or to family gatherings and parties.
In order to play, you are invited to break into teams. Each card has three clues or lyrics from a song. You read out the lyrics for your opponent and let them guess the song. The fewer clues they need to get the song right, the more points they get. Here is a tip: try to read the lyrics in monotone to not give anything away.
These are the rules you’ll find in the box, but you can play your own way too! Figure out some house rules that will make the game more enjoyable for you. Choke On These Notes is a great game for all music lovers. The game itself is made from durable and high-quality material. It’s a pleasure to play and you will be stuck humming songs to yourself for the whole day!
- Choke On These Notes is a card game where you try to guess the song based on part of the Lyrics.
- Contains over 230 iconic songs from the past 6 decades covering all popular genres.
- FUN FOR ANY SEASON: Choke On These Notes fits perfectly into any party, trip, or family get-together. Going camping? Unplug for the evening and play around the campfire. Bored on a rainy day? Spend your time singing and guessing with your family and friends of any age as you try to think of the song title. Choke On These Notes can go with you anywhere, from home to your vacation.
- THE RULES: Get in teams of at least 1v1. Decide who guesses first then the other team reads a card. There are 3 Clues/Lyrics on each card. The fewer clues you need the more points you get. But play how you want! We won't tell.
- After listening to a song, this idea came to us. Could you guess a song based on a lyric?
Bill & Ted’s Excellent Historical Trivia Travel Game
If you’re a fan of the Bill & Ted movies, you will definitely enjoy Bill & Ted’s Excellent Historical Trivia Travel Game. And if you’ve never heard of them, you’ll have fun anyway! The game invites you on a mission through time and space. In Bill & Ted’s universe, you must answer history questions to save the world.
While you’re at it, collect historical characters such as Abraham Lincoln, Napoleon, Joan of Arc, and so on. In order to win the game and return to the San Dimas High School, you have to collect all six historical characters. Wyld Cards will cleanse your pallet in between rounds.
The game comes with 1,200 trivia questions, 100 Wyld Cards, four telephone booth score cards, and 24 historical figure cards. The game itself comes in the form of a phone booth, which is not only cute, but will also make a great decoration for your bookshelf. Additionally, the game is suitable for quiet nights at home, as well as wild parties at pubs and bars, friends’ living rooms, trains, planes, boats, cars, camping sites, and about anywhere else you can come up with.
Bill & Ted’s Excellent Historical Trivia Travel Game is really not hard to play, even if you’ve never heard of Bill & Ted before. And if you have, you’ll enjoy the way the questions are written; it’s almost as if the two characters are speaking to you! If all else fails, Bill & Ted will teach you a little bit about excellent historical trivia!
- UNLEASH THE FUN: Travel with Bill and Ted as you journey through time and space to save the world! It’s an awesome mix of historical trivia, minigames and get-to-know you questions so you and your family will have a radical game night. Party on, dudes!
- TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE: 6 categories will help you with your big history class presentation as you try to collect the corresponding historical characters. The trivia cards feature questions for the whole family, not just students of San Dimas High School!
- FAMILY NIGHT ESSENTIAL: This isn’t a typical trivia board game—wyld cards are included for conversation starters to cleanse your palate in between the question rounds. Don’t forget about Death! He’s ready when you are for a minigame to shake things up.
- ICONIC PACKAGING: Everything you need comes in a shiny phone booth just like the time machine. The board and pieces are magnetic so it’s perfect to take with you wherever you go even if it’s back in time. Bill and Ted fans will love this trivia game!
- LAUGHTER GUARANTEED: Barry & Jason Games & Entertainment took their love and passion for game shows and comedy to the next level by creating wacky party games for you, your friends and family. Try each game to see all the fun you’ve been missing out on!
As the name suggests, Blockbuster Returns is a movie party game. Prepare the popcorn, invite your friends over, and brush up on your knowledge of the greatest movies from the past decade. The game starts with a movie buzzer battle. Break into two teams and choose a player from each team. The two players have to name as many movie titles as they can that fit into a certain category.
The winning team gets the upper hand as all players proceed to race to describe, quote, and act out different movies for their teams to guess. Those who are not keeping up with all the latest movies will be happy to find out that the game only focuses on the most popular movies, as well as some classics. The categories include: Heart Warmers, From Another World, Not For Kids, and Remakes & Reboots. In order to win the game, your team has to be the first to collect two cards from each category.
The game comes with 100 brand new movie cards that you can use with the original version of the game to create a mega game. If you don’t have the original board game, that’s fine! Use this version as its own little game. You will also find 30 head-to-head cards in the set. The game is suitable for players from the age of 14. You need at least four people to play. Download the Big Potato Buzzer App for easier gameplay or use your own timer.
Blockbuster Returns is great for both movie lovers and casual watchers. You can play with friends and family. The game is quite fast-paced, so you don’t have to spend hours playing. Most importantly, it is fun for everyone!
- THE SEQUEL WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR: Grab the popcorn because Blockbuster is back with another movie party game filled with all the best movies from the last 10 years
- THE GREATEST EVENT IN MOTION PICTURE HISTORY (That isn't a motion picture): The scene opens with a movie buzzer battle where players must fire movie titles back and forth that fit into the category
- JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO GET BACK IN THE WATER... Our heroes then move on to the action packed set piece: a race to describe, quote and act out different movies for your team to guess in order to win the game.
- ACADEMY AWARD WINNING: Crammed with current classics, with four brand new categories: ‘Heart Warmers’, ‘From Another World’, ‘Not For Kids’ and ‘Remakes & Reboots’
- EASY TO LEARN, QUICK TO PLAY This Movie Party Board Game is fun for the whole Family and features 100 brand new Movie Cards, 30 head to head cards For 4+ players ages 14 and up
I Wish I Didn’t Know
The creators of What Do You Meme? are at it again! The company that’s known for making people laugh at vulgar jokes released its very own filthy trivia game. Right off the bat, it’s worth noting that I Wish I Didn’t Know is recommended for players from the age of 17. It is best played with three or more players.
The rules are very simple: one player draws a trivia card, and reads out the question and multiple choice answers. Other players try their luck at answering the question. It’s kind of a guessing game at times, because there is no way you know so many gross facts! I Wish I Didn’t Know is a great game for a mixed crowd. You can put trivia whizzes with people who never played before and you wouldn’t know who’d win!
Players rotate in drawing cards. Another benefit of this game is that you can stop whenever you want. There is no real strategy to it. The game comes with 500 trivia cards, each more disturbing than the other. The game is recommended for friend groups and parties, but you can play with your family if you’re brave!
In its essence, the game is similar to Cards Against Humanity. It’s a good laugh, dirty, and easy to play. The packaging deserves a mention, too. The size is perfect for traveling, going to the pub, or even camping! You can just as easily take it to your friend’s house next time they’re having a get-together. The cards are thick and durable, so don’t worry about spilling a little beer on them. Finally, the box will spice up your bookshelf!
If you’re really keen on playing with kids, you can go through all the cards and pull out the inappropriate ones. It’s doable and will make the game child-friendly, but it might ruin the game for you. All the crazy trivia facts make for a great conversation starter and ice-breaker.
Though I Wish I Didn’t Know might not be a game that will survive the test of time the way Trivial Pursuit Genus 1 did, it is still a fun addition to your board game collection. On top of that, the game will make a hilarious gift!
- You Said What?! This is the filthy trivia game that you and your friends will never forget.
- Designed for 17+: This game contains mature content and is designed for ages 17+. Encouraged to be played with 3+ players.
- How To Play: Players rotate drawing a trivia card while the rest of the group competes to guess which answer is correct. Once everyone has guessed, the judge reveals the correct answer and awards one point to those who chose correctly.
- What's Inside: Includes 500 trivia cards plus instructions.
- Brought to you by What Do You Meme?: We also make other party games inspired by pop culture. Check out our store for more good stuff.
MTV: The Throwback Music Party Game
MTV: The Throwback Music Party Game is made for adults who love music. The game quizzes you on the biggest hits from the ’80s, ’90s, and ’00s. Its nostalgic nature calls for adult players. Younger players would simply not be familiar with the music of that era.
The game starts with a head-to-head round. Two players (one from each team) name as many song titles in one category as they can. The first round is followed by triple charade jeopardy, where the teams have 30 seconds to describe in one word, speak the lyrics, and perform songs from two famous bands for their team members to guess.
As you already figured, you have to play in teams. Collect an artist from all eight cassette categories to win the game. The categories include: Award-Winning Videos, Best of Unplugged, Pop Anthems, Headbangers, Teenage Angst, Hip Hop Hips, Queens of MTV, and Across the Pond. In these categories, you will find some newer Billboard stars, as well as vinyl favorites.
The game is easy to learn and quick to play. It is meant for a minimum of four players from the age of 13. In reality, the younger generation will probably have a difficult time playing, especially if they weren’t alive in the ’80s and ’90s. The game comes with 180 cards, a game board, and an electronic timer.
You don’t have to commit to a full game if you don’t want to. Play by your own rules with speed rounds. Because of that, the game is great for road trips, camping trips, and nights at the local pub. Take the cards with you and play on the go! If you’re not a pro on the topic of MTV music, it’s better to play with more people. Six is the optimal number of players, though four works too. The design of the packaging is very cute and retro; it will take you back to the times when MTV actually played music!
Overall, MTV: The Throwback Music Party Gameis quite easy to play. You can speed it up too, which makes it the perfect party game. Involve as many people as you can, but don’t rely on the younger generation. They will likely not have much to contribute.
- I WANT MY MTV Switch over to a music party game for adults and teens that’s filled with all the biggest MTV hits from the '80s, '90s and '00s
- FOR ANYONE WHO'S EVER HEARD A SONG: In the head to head round two players face off in a quick-fire MTV Challenge category battle naming song titles
- TRIPLE CHARADES JEOPARDY Afterwards, players have 30 seconds to describe in one word, speak the lyrics and perform songs from three famous bands for their team to guess
- TOTAL REQUEST LIVE The first team to collect an artist from all eight cassette categories wins the game Requires 2 x AAA batteries (not included)
- EASY TO LEARN, QUICK TO PLAY A new party board game for 2020 made specially for adults of the MTV generation 4+ Players, ages 13 and up
Trivial Pursuit: Horror Ultimate Edition
The iconic board game has not stopped surprising us since the 1980s. This time, fans of horror can rejoice. Trivial Pursuit: Horror Ultimate Edition brought 1,800 trivia questions about all things horror; movies, television shows, and books. The categories are: Gore & Disturbing, Psychological, Killer, Monster, Paranormal, and Comedy.
The design of the game goes hand in hand with the theme. The game board has a horror theme and the special movers come in the form of a Monster Hand, Doll Head, Straitjacket, Goat Head, Cleaver in Brain, and Table Saw. The game is meant for two or more players from the age of 17. The average play time can exceed one hour. If you’re not spooked yet, keep reading!
This edition boasts classic Trivial Pursuit gameplay. Trivial Pursuit games are often criticized for being too easy, but not this one! The game is rather challenging and only suitable for real horror fans. It features many obscure movies that not many people have heard of. A casual gamer might not enjoy this edition, but a horror super fan will have lots of fun!
Horror is quite a niche area, so find yourself a group of friends to play with before you purchase the game. There are not many horror trivia games on the market at the moment, so this one definitely takes the cake. Trivial Pursuit: Horror Ultimate Edition features some of the most difficult questions in the history of Trivial Pursuit. Unfortunately, players have found spelling mistakes and errors in the questions. But not even that can take away from the overwhelming amount of wonderful reviews and ratings the game has gotten in its short life.
- Get ready to scream your head off because you can run, you can hide, but you can never escape Trivial Pursuit Horror Ultimate Edition featuring 1800 questions spanning all horror entertainment platforms – horror movies, television shows, and books
- Answer questions from across 6 categories of horror - Gore & Disturbing, Psychological, Killer, Monster, Paranormal, and Comedy
- Classic Trivial Pursuit game board features a horror theme with horror-inspired movers including Monster Hand, Doll Head, Straitjacket, Goat Head, Cleaver in Brain, and Table Saw
- Includes 1 Game Board, 300 Cards, 6 Custom Movers, 1 Die, 36 Wedges, and 1 Rulebook
- 2+ Players | Ages 17+ | 60+ Min Play Time
Conspiracy Theory Travel Edition
Conspiracy Theory Travel Edition invites you to explore the world of crazy and not-so-crazy internet conspiracy theories. You get to answer questions and collect conspiracy cards to win. Each card has a QR code that you can scan to find out more about the conspiracy theory. This has been a popular feature and many players confess to spending hours after the game learning about all the conspiracies.
The game is best described as a party game for two – six players or teams. This is not the first edition of the game. In fact, you can find the full-sized board game on Amazon, too! If you already have that one, use this Travel Edition as an expansion pack with 200 all-new questions. If this is your first voyage into the world of conspiracies, play the game as it is. You can even bring it on road trips or play with your friends via Zoom!
The categories include: Mythos (mythical places and creatures), Aliens, Technologies, Schemes (government and secret organizations), and Random (everything else). Answer correctly in all categories to win a matching set of cards. Beware of government cover-ups though, as they can take over your cards!
Conspiracy Theory Travel Edition is a hilarious game to play with friends and family. It’s easy to learn and play, especially due to the multiple choice questions. It’s a game for the days when you don’t really want to focus and think hard. Chances are, you won’t know half of the answers anyway! It’s still fun because you and your opponents will all be on the same page. If you want to show off your knowledge and learn about new conspiracy theories, give this game a go!
- Conspiracy Theory Trivia Game tests your knowledge of the world of Internet conspiracies
- Answer questions to collect conspiracy cards to win, but be careful of Cover-Ups
- A QR code is printed on every conspiracy card if you want more details (like when the ghost of JFK revealed that all dolphins are aliens)
- The perfect party game for 2 to 6 players (or teams).
- This travel edition of our popular Conspiracy Theory Trivia Board Game contains 200 all-new questions and game die to play on the go (or use it as an expansion pack for the full board game).
If you’re looking to buy a new trivia game, you are not limited in any way, shape, or form. There are so many to choose from! In fact, that might be limiting in itself, as the options are too overwhelming. In order to narrow it down, you can ask yourself a few questions.
For starters, how many people will be playing? You can choose almost any game on this list if you have at least three friends that are willing to play with you. However, if you only have one or two friends, you’re a bit limited. Betcha Can’t! and I Wish I Didn’t Know require at least three players, and Trivial Pursuit: Horror Ultimate Edition will do with two. If you have too many players, most games allow you to split into teams. That also speeds up the gameplay and makes it a bit easier!
Think about the format of the game; do you need a game board? If the board game element is very important to you, opt for a game with one, such as Trivial Pursuit: Horror Ultimate Edition or MTV: The Throwback Music Party Game. Many people prefer cards because of their mobility. The benefit of card games is that you can take them with you anywhere you go.
Do you have a specific topic of interest or do you prefer general knowledge trivia? This time, the list is geared more towards different topics rather than general knowledge. This year is rich for music lovers, with games such as MTV: The Throwback Music Party Game and Choke on These Notes. Other niche topics include conspiracy theories and the horror genre. Some of the more general games on this list are I Wish I Didn’t Know and Betcha Can’t!
Consider the people you’ll be playing with. Let’s start with age! Some of the games on this list are not suitable for children. I’m talking about Trivial Pursuit: Horror Ultimate Edition, The Best of Christmas Game: Not for Kids, and I Wish I Didn’t Know specifically! These three should be kept away from kids due to their inappropriate content. Other games, like MTV: The Throwback Music Party Game, are not great for kids because they won’t know any of the answers. Some of the more kid-friendly games on this list include Bill & Ted’s Excellent Historical Trivia Travel Game and Betcha Can’t!
What’s the occasion? Do you want to have a cozy night in with the family and play a few rounds of trivia? Then Betcha Can’t! is an appropriate game for you. If you want to use a game to spice up your party, go for Blockbuster Returns or I Wish I Didn’t Know. If you’re looking to sit down with a close group of friends and play a serious game, you can choose one with a game board, like Trivial Pursuit: Ultimate Horror Edition.
Finally, what’s the desired difficulty of the game? Real trivia whizzes enjoy a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a bit mindless fun, too. The level of difficulty you will choose should depend on how knowledgeable you and other players are on the topic. Don’t go too hard just to show off your trivia knowledge. It’s no fun getting all the questions wrong, just as it is no fun to be the only one getting questions right!Invalid table id.
Here’s to a New Year of Trivia!
We created this list to show you that trivia doesn’t stand still. As we enter the new year, it’s up to you to decide which board games you want to keep and which you will toss to make space for new games. Once you’ve made that space, you have a lot to choose from and some important decisions to make!
Pick a game that will entertain you and your loved ones, challenge all players equally, and provide more fun times and laughs than any game ever before. Choose wisely and don’t limit yourself to just one pick. Remember, the goal is always to have fun and never to walk away angry or in tears (unless they’re tears from laughing too hard, of course).
If none of these games tickle your fancy, be sure to also check out our list of the five best alternatives to Trivial Pursuit. Have you tried any of these games? Which one did you like best? Which one of these games would you play? What is your favorite new trivia board game? Let us know about your experiences and opinions in the comments!