The film industry continues to provide a fun way for people all over the world to enjoy their free time. Whether you’re on the edge of your seat watching a horror flick or just playing some reality TV as background noise while you do your chores, most people would agree that television is a huge part of our lives.
That’s the beauty of movie trivia! It doesn’t matter if you’re a film major or just a casual TV viewer; there is a game out there for everyone. The best part is, it might surprise you to see how much you actually know about movies. So stop hiding your knowledge and let it come out to play. Show your friends and family who’s boss over a few friendly rounds of trivia.
However, if you are a bit of a movie buff and just want to go with our top pick, check out Cinephile. It is a compact deck of cards you can play anywhere, but don’t be fooled by its small size! Cinephile actually contains five different games you can play. Some are better for movie beginners, while others are suitable for experts. Cinephile is probably the most accommodating and versatile game on this list, so give it a shot!
When you’re buying a game, the most important detail people often overlook is how knowledgeable you are about the subject. Many excellent games receive negative reviews simply because they are misunderstood. If you know very little about a topic, you would hardly enjoy answering trivia questions about it.
Consider your movie knowledge versus the knowledge of other players. Are you familiar with directors other than Quentin Tarantino and Woody Allen? If so, you can take on a greater challenge. If not, that’s fine too! Just pick a game that will fit your level of knowledge and you will have an amazing time playing.
Now, let’s talk about gameplay: Are you willing to take some time to learn the rules? Do you even want the competitive element, or would you rather casually answer trivia questions? That directly ties into the next point: where will you be playing? Do you want to take your game on road trips and to parties, or is it a Christmas morning-type of game? The former should be able to fit in your bag, while the latter can be as big as it needs to be.
There are new games coming out every year. Some old games remain unbeatable, though. Unfortunately, the older the game, the harder it will be for younger players. Though there are many iconic movies that we’re all familiar with, you might want to answer questions about newer ones too. Look at the release date of the game and check if it has been updated.
Finally, are you looking for a specific movie or genre? You can easily find trivia games about franchises like Star Wars, Harry Potter, Friends, and other popular movies and TV shows. There are also games dedicated to specific genres. If you’d prefer general movie trivia, then opt for a game that doesn’t focus on a particular movie or genre.
If you’re still not sure what you’re looking for, check out the list below! It will give you some ideas and point you in the right direction.
Spin Master Games: Best of TV and Movies Board Game
This game has questions about hundreds of popular TV shows and movies. There are over 400 cards and the game can accommodate between two and six players. It comes with fun features that you can use to enhance the gameplay, like the ability to.silence your opponent, get a new question, or skip a question completely.
The game is perfect for both kids and adults, which makes it suitable for family gatherings or quiet nights in. The gameplay is faster than other games in this category, which is also ideal for children. There are questions about both older and more recent movies and shows. The game consists of identifying logos and answering trivia questions.
If you’re looking for a game for the entire family, this is a great option!
- THE BEST OF TV AND MOVIES – this game of great fun will test your knowledge of 100s of TV shows and movies from past decades to today. An addictive attraction, this game requires players to identify logos and answer trivia questions about over 200 hit television shows and blockbuster movies
- USE SPECIAL CARDS - if you have heard enough trash talk from the competition, earn a MUTE CARD and you can use it to silence an opposing player. If you can't answer a question, use the CHANGE CHANNELS card to get a new question. A FAST FORWARD card allows you to skip it entirely
- PLAYERS TO THE READY - the Best of TV and Movies is made for 2-6 players who are ready to answer over 1500 unique questions. Includes 1 game board, 400 cards, and 6 playing pieces. No batteries required
- SOLID ENTERTAINMENT - during friendly get-togethers and parties, just whip out this game to bring a group together. Have your friends test their media knowledge for hours of entertainment. Also ideal gifting to all TV and movie lovers
- AN IDEAL HOLIDAY SURPRISE FOR CHILDREN - makes a perfect holiday idea for the kids this holiday season
Movies Trivia Game
Movies Trivia Game comes with 1,200 unique trivia questions. The game is appropriate for adults and children ages 12 and up and is suitable for gatherings with friends and family.
The setup is very easy: There are five categories: Comedy, Action, Drama, Sci-Fi/Horror, and Awards. In a nutshell, the game offers great value for money. It is cheaper than some other games on this list and has a wonderful variety of questions ranging from easy to difficult.
This game is so enjoyed by players, that many actually complain that there aren’t enough trivia questions! If you’re a daily player, you may choose to purchase multiple expansion packs. However, if you don’t plan on organizing intensive movie trivia nights, 1,200 questions will suffice.
- CINEMA TRIVIA GAME: This game is for the movie buff, testing everyone’s knowledge of comedy, cartoon, action, adventure, drama, musicals, sci-fi, and horror movies
- MOVIES TRIVIA CONTENTS: For 2 or more players ages 12 years and up, Movies Trivia is a fun game that includes 1200 questions and answers with 4 categories on each card
- QUIZ QUESTIONS: Besides having the benefits of improving and expanding your knowledge, trivia games are also a fun way to get everyone involved at any game night or party
- FAMILY FUN: The rules are easy to learn and the game is difficult to stop playing, it’s that much fun! It’s the perfect game for families that allows the kids, teens, and parents to all get involved
- TRAVEL ACTIVITIES: This compact, portable game can easily fit in a purse or backpack, making it perfect as an on the go activity for long road trips in the car and long waits at the restaurant
Trivial Pursuit: World of Harry Potter – Ultimate Edition
Harry Potter is one of the most iconic movie franchises of all time. Pair it up with one of the most iconic board games, Trivial Pursuit, and you have a wonderful combination. The game is based on all eight Harry Potter movies. It is a collectible item, so it comes with special movers and a thematic board.
You can imagine why this game would be a success. For starters, master sets of Trivial Pursuit always come with more than enough questions that provide hours of entertainment. The Trivial Pursuit model of gameplay is easy because most people are familiar with it. It adds a fun element to the game for those who find simply answering questions boring. If you’re a Harry Potter fan, definitely give this game a chance.
If you are an HP superfan, check out our whole article on the best Harry Potter Trivia board games.
- 1800 new questions from all 8 Harry Potter films
- Game comes with custom board and House Mascot movers
- Categories include Magical Locations, Magical People and more; that range in difficulty
- Includes: 1 Custom Game Board | 4 Custom House Crest Movers | 24 Wedges | 300 Cards with 1800 Questions | Instructions
- 2-8 Players | Ages 8 and Older | 30-60 Min Play Time
Trivial Pursuit: Horror Ultimate Edition
Horror movie fans assemble; there is a new game for you! This is the classic Trivial Pursuit game with a horror twist. The game comes with 1,800 spooky questions about the best horror movies and books. The combination of a unique theme with the classic Trivial Pursuit gameplay is a recipe for success, as decades of Trivial Pursuit games have shown.
The game made this list because of its overwhelming number of positive reviews. Players recommend the game to all horror fans, even though the questions are rather challenging. This game is not recommended to anyone under the age of 17, however, so if you’re looking for a game to play with your kids, you may want to keep looking.
- Get ready to scream your head off because you can run, you can hide, but you can never escape Trivial Pursuit Horror Ultimate Edition featuring 1800 questions spanning all horror entertainment platforms – horror movies, television shows, and books
- Answer questions from across 6 categories of horror - Gore & Disturbing, Psychological, Killer, Monster, Paranormal, and Comedy
- Classic Trivial Pursuit game board features a horror theme with horror-inspired movers including Monster Hand, Doll Head, Straitjacket, Goat Head, Cleaver in Brain, and Table Saw
- Includes 1 Game Board, 300 Cards, 6 Custom Movers, 1 Die, 36 Wedges, and 1 Rulebook
- 2+ Players | Ages 17+ | 60+ Min Play Time
Movie Buff: The World’s Greatest Movie Trivia Card Game
Movie Buffcomes with 160 trivia questions and strategy cards in the following categories: Actor, Movie, Role, Quote, Edit, and Cut! This game is suitable for all ages, as it contains movies from every era and has questions for all knowledge levels.
Up to 16 people can play this game at the same time. An average game is only 30 minutes long, which can be ideal for playing multiple rounds in one sitting. This is not like your average Trivial Pursuit; the gameplay is rather original and comprises more than just answering trivia questions.
An interesting twist about this game is that it is up to the players to come up with the trivia questions! Don’t worry—this is not as hard as it sounds. This alternative gameplay will definitely entice those bored with good old trivia board games.
There are different ways to play this game. You can check the website to learn about the official rules of the game, or create your own! The game is incredibly flexible and adaptable to any crowd, which makes it perfect for parties. Here is my verdict: if you’re looking for a set of questions and answers about movies, this game is not for you. However, if you’re open to switching things up, Movie Buff can be a lot of fun!
- 160 Trivia and Strategy cards such as Actor, Movie, Role, Quote, Edit, and Cut!
- All levels of experience can play! Connect movies from every era!
- 30+ Minutes of game play with infinite possible rounds. 2 to 16 players.
- Never requires an expansion pack! Never play the same game twice!
- Professionally printed on premium playing cards in a custom magnetic box.
Cinelinx comes with no board, dice, or playing pieces. It’s just you and 320 cards. The best way to explain this game is that its dominoes for movie buffs. The cards have names of actors, directors, movie titles, scenes, quotes, and genres. Your job is to find connections between cards.
The game is suitable for two to six players. The gameplay usually lasts between 30 and 60 minutes. If the game doesn’t make sense to you, you can find the rulebook on the official website. While this game may be harder than your average trivia game, that doesn’t mean it’s any less fun.
The instructions are quite simple, and there are enough cards to play many games. If you ever run out of cards, you can purchase one of their expansion packs. The game is optimal for real movie buffs as opposed to more casual viewers.
- 320 Cards including Actors, Directors, Movie Titles, Scenes, Quotes and Genres. Special Director's Cut Cards alter the play in exciting ways.
- Find movie connections from the 70's, 80's, 90's to today.
- 30 - 60 Minutes of fast paced card playing and connecting. 2 to 6 players
- Includes game rules and guidelines. Expanded Rulebook available on official game website.
- A new take on movie trivia games. Dominoes for movie buffs.
Cinephile – A Card Game
This is by far the most stylish game on this list. The design is stunning and the illustrations are absolutely gorgeous. Just for that, the game gets a 10/10 in my book. The gameplay doesn’t disappoint either. There are five different ways you can play this game, as outlined on the game’s website. There are games to accommodate everyone from beginners to experts. The best part is, you can make your own rules! Once you understand the suggested rules, you can start adding house rules to suit your preferred mode of gameplay.
The game comes with 150 cards and is an excellent game for real movie fans. It is versatile and can accommodate most players.
- Everett, Cory (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 150 Pages - 08/27/2019 (Publication Date) - Clarkson Potter (Publisher)
Lights, Camera, Action!
Hopefully, now you have a better idea of what game you want to treat yourself to or purchase for your loved ones. You don’t have to be a film expert to enjoy these games, but you have to know a thing or two to win. No matter what, though, you’ll have fun!
Keep in mind what you are looking for in a game. If you’re not afraid to get adventurous and scrap the old rules, opt for Cinephile, Movie Buff, or Cinelinx. The unique gameplay of each can become a source of many exciting nights with friends and family. Choose one of them if you’re up for a challenge!
Movies Trivia Game and Best of TV and Movies Board Game are more traditional in terms of gameplay. They are more family-friendly and still have some outstanding questions. Go for one of these if you want to treat the whole family to a nice evening of movie trivia.
If you’re still not sure, read over the buying guide again! Ask yourself these questions to figure out which game would provide the best value for money for you. I hope this list brought you one step closer to finding a game that will keep you entertained and challenged for many years to come.
Have you played any of these games? Tell us about your experience! What game would you like to hear about next? Let us know in the comments!
Do you want to expand beyond just movies to everything? We just published a list of the best trivia board games overall, right here.