Metalheads and rock stars, are you ready to face the music? 🎸 Brace yourselves for a whirlwind tour of heavy metal that promises not to fall flat! We’ve drummed up some questions that will test if your metal knowledge truly rocks or if it’s just a bit off-key. So, crank up the volume, dive into the mosh pit of trivia, and let’s see if you can hit the high notes! And remember, if things get too hard, don’t fret—it’s all in good fun!
1. Which band is often credited as the “pioneers” of heavy metal?
2. Who is the lead singer of Iron Maiden?
3. In which year was Metallica’s “The Black Album” released?
4. Which metal band features a mascot named “Eddie”?
5. Who is the drummer known for the double bass drumming technique in heavy metal?
6. Dio popularized which hand gesture in heavy metal culture?
7. Which city is often referred to as the birthplace of heavy metal?
8. Which heavy metal/punk band’s members often dress up like monsters and perform theatrical shows?
9. Who is the current bassist of Metallica?
10. “Paranoid” is a famous song by which heavy metal band?
11. Which country did the heavy metal subgenre “Viking Metal” originate from?
12. Which metal band was known for using makeup and taking on the personas of comic book-style characters?
13. Who was the original lead guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne?
14. Which band released an album named “British Steel”?
15. Who is known as the “Prince of Darkness” in the heavy metal world?
16. Which band’s album cover features a character named “Vic Rattlehead”?
17. Which subgenre of metal is characterized by its use of folk instruments and themes?
18. What is the name of the documentary about heavy metal fans waiting in a parking lot?
19. Which band had a hit song titled “Ace of Spades”?
20. In which year did the iconic metal festival “Monsters of Rock” debut in England?
21. Which heavy metal band has a mascot named “Snaggletooth” or “War-Pig”?
22. “Breaking the Law” is a hit by which band?
23. Which band’s frontman is known for his unique mic stand made of bones?
24. What is the title of Slayer’s 1986 album?
25. Which band had their music used as torture in Guantanamo Bay?
26. Which band released an album called “Operation: Mindcrime”?
27. Which country is the band Nightwish from?
28. Who is the female bassist known for her work in the band White Zombie?
29. Which heavy metal band was fronted by Ronnie James Dio after leaving Black Sabbath?
30. Which metal subgenre is characterized by downtuned guitars and slow tempos?
31. What is the name of the Metallica album that is completely instrumental and features the San Francisco Symphony?
32. Which band’s album “Rust in Peace” is considered one of the greatest heavy metal albums of all time?
33. Which metal festival takes place annually in Germany and is one of the largest in the world?
34. Which band is known for the hit “Smoke on the Water”?
35. Who was the lead singer of AC/DC before Brian Johnson?
36. Which band is known for their album “The Number of the Beast”?
37. Which heavy metal vocalist was known for his operatic singing style and was a member of both Black Sabbath and Rainbow?
38. What is the heavy metal subgenre characterized by its emphasis on melody and harmonized guitar riffs?
39. Which band’s debut album was titled “Kill ‘Em All”?
40. Which band is associated with the “New Wave of British Heavy Metal” movement of the late 1970s and early 1980s?
41. Which band uses an umlaut over the ‘o’ in their name?
42. Which heavy metal band had their own branded video game released in 2009?
43. Who was the drummer for Pantera and later formed the band Hellyeah?
44. Which band released the song “Holy Diver”?
45. Which heavy metal band was fronted by Phil Anselmo?
46. Which heavy metal group had a reality TV show called “The Osbournes”?
47. Which band is known for the hit song “Enter Sandman”?
48. Who was the bassist for Metallica who tragically passed away in a bus accident in 1986?
49. Which heavy metal subgenre often features lyrics about Norse mythology and Viking history?
50. Who is the guitarist known for his fast “shredding” technique and instrumental songs like “Surfing with the Alien”?
51. Which band’s lead singer is known for his wide vocal range and was once a contestant on American Idol?
52. Which band is famous for their theatrical stage shows and blood-spitting antics?
53. Which heavy metal vocalist replaced David Lee Roth in Van Halen?
54. Which band is known for the song “Chop Suey!”?
55. Who is the legendary guitar player known for his work in the band White Snake and also for his solo material?
56. What is the metal subgenre that combines death metal with melodic elements?
57. Who is the famous guitarist known for his work with Ozzy Osbourne and his own band, Black Label Society?
58. Which metal band had a concept album called “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son”?
59. Which heavy metal band is known for their cover of the song “The Sound of Silence”?
60. Which band’s album covers frequently feature artwork by Derek Riggs?
61. What is the name of the music festival that features primarily heavy metal bands and takes place annually in the UK?
62. Which heavy metal band’s drummer lost his arm in a car accident but continued to play using a custom drum set?
63. Who is the frontman for the bands Slipknot and Stone Sour?
64. Which band released the album “Cowboys from Hell”?
65. Which subgenre of heavy metal is known for its aggressive sound and use of blast beats on drums?
66. Who is the lead guitarist for the band Slayer?
67. Which heavy metal band had a hit song called “Crazy Train”?
68. Which band released a trilogy of albums in the early 2000s with a story arc about a character named “Coheed”?
69. What is the name of the Metallica documentary that offers a behind-the-scenes look at the band during a turbulent time in their history?
70. Which band is known for their song “Dragula”?
71. Which heavy metal band hails from Brazil and is known for songs like “Roots Bloody Roots”?
72. Who is the bassist and co-founder of the band Mötley Crüe?
73. Which heavy metal subgenre is known for its symphonic elements and often features orchestras and choir arrangements?
74. Who is the drummer for the band Rush?
75. Which band is known for their hit song “Youth Gone Wild”?
76. Who was the original drummer for Black Sabbath?
77. Which heavy metal band has a song called “Rainbow in the Dark”?
78. Which band had an album titled “Vulgar Display of Power”?
79. Who is the vocalist known for his work in the band Soundgarden and later Audioslave?
80. Which band released the album “Back in Black” in 1980 as a tribute to their late singer?
That was a headbanging good time! Whether you soared like an eagle or felt a little rusty, we hope you had fun! For more tune-tastic quizzes and rocking riddles, be sure to check out Trivia Bliss’s other quizzes, including ones about hard rock, punk, classic rock, ’70s music, ’80s music, ’90s music, and more. Keep rocking and rolling in the world of trivia!