Well hello there, quiz-hobbits! Ready to embark on a quest of trivia knowledge deeper than the Mines of Moria, longer than the journey to Mount Doom, and more fun than second breakfast? Grab your lembas bread and your best hobbit friends, because we’re about to dive into Middle-earth with these 225 trivia questions about The Lord of the Rings! Whether you’re as wise as Gandalf or as confused as Pippin, this quiz will test your LOTR knowledge in ways you never expected. So don your mithril coat, brandish your walking stick and let’s set off into the wild… quiz yonder!
1. Who is the author of the “Lord of the Rings” series?
2. In what year was “The Fellowship of the Ring”, the first book in the “Lord of the Rings” series, originally published?
3. Which actor played the role of Frodo Baggins in the “Lord of the Rings” movie trilogy?
4. How many rings of power were created in total in the “Lord of the Rings” universe?
5. What’s the name of the Elvish language that is frequently used in the “Lord of the Rings”?
6. What is the name of the tower where Sauron resides?
7. What are the riders who serve Sauron called?
8. Who composed the musical score for the “Lord of the Rings” film trilogy?
9. What is the highest grossing film in the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy?
10. What is the fictional date of Bilbo and Frodo’s birthday?
11. What are the names of the two iconic towers in the second part of the “Lord of the Rings” series?
12. Who is the oldest living being in Middle Earth?
13. What creature does Gandalf face in the Mines of Moria?
14. What is the name of the only dwarf in the Fellowship of the Ring?
15. Who does Eowyn kill during the Battle of the Pelennor Fields?
16. Who led the Fellowship of the Ring after Gandalf’s fall in the Mines of Moria?
17. What is the name of the seeing-stone used by Saruman and later by Pippin?
18. What mountain must Frodo and Sam cross to get into Mordor?
19. How many members were there in the original Fellowship of the Ring?
20. What is the Elvish word for friend, which also serves as the password to the doors of Moria?
21. What is the name of the blade that was broken and then reforged for Aragorn?
22. What is the name of Gandalf’s horse?
23. What is the name of the forest where the Ents live?
24. Who played Legolas in the film series?
25. How many rings were given to the Dwarf-Lords?
26. Which creature in the series is known for saying “my precious”?
27. Who was the first King of Gondor after the War of the Ring?
28. What does the inscription on the One Ring say?
29. What is the name of the spider-like creature that Frodo encounters in the lair of Shelob?
30. What’s the name of the dwarf who was part of the Fellowship of the Ring?
31. What is the name of the volcano where the One Ring must be destroyed?
32. Which actor portrayed Aragorn in Peter Jackson’s film adaptation?
33. Who is the father of Boromir and Faramir?
34. What were the monstrous soldiers bred by Saruman in the caverns of Isengard called?
35. What is the largest battle in the “Lord of the Rings” series called?
36. What race is Legolas?
37. Which character says, “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future”?
38. Who does Arwen’s character fall in love with?
39. Who directed the “Lord of the Rings” film trilogy?
40. Which character was the Ring-bearer before Frodo?
41. Which Lord of the Rings character has the epithet “Strider”?
42. What is the common tongue name for the city of Minas Tirith?
43. Who is the first character to speak in the Lord of the Rings films?
44. Who voices the character of Gollum in Peter Jackson’s film adaptation?
45. Who was the eldest of the two Blue Wizards who journeyed into the East of Middle-earth and never returned?
46. Who is the king of Rohan?
47. Which creature from the Lord of the Rings series has a name that translates to “servant” in Old English?
48. Who defeats the Witch-king of Angmar in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields?
49. Who were the two blue wizards that went to the East and were never seen again?
50. How many years pass between Bilbo’s 111th birthday party and Frodo’s departure from the Shire?
51. How does Gollum finally meet his end?
52. What is the name of the mountain range that includes Mount Doom?
53. What is the name of the in-universe author of the “Red Book of Westmarch”, from which the “The Lord of the Rings” is supposedly translated?
54. What language did J.R.R. Tolkien invent first, which led him to write the books?
55. Which character returns from the dead after battling the Balrog?
56. Which character from “The Lord of the Rings” appears in all of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth books?
57. Who gives Bilbo Baggins Sting, the Elven sword?
58. What significant event happens in Middle-earth on March 25th?
59. What’s the name of the ancient tree-like beings that reside in Fangorn Forest?
60. What is the name of Aragorn’s sword?
61. Which character in the trilogy carries the title ‘Witch King of Angmar’?
62. Which elven character was created specifically for the movie adaptations and does not appear in the original novels?
63. Which city serves as the capital of the Kingdom of Rohan?
64. What is the name of Bilbo’s home in the Shire?
65. What type of creature is Treebeard?
66. Which member of the fellowship was a prince of Mirkwood?
67. What gift does Lady Galadriel give to Frodo Baggins?
68. Who was the first ring-bearer to willingly give up the One Ring?
69. What are the names of Frodo’s companion hobbits in the Fellowship?
70. What was the original name of the creature known as Gollum?
71. Which Lord of the Rings character is known as the ‘Bearer of the Flame of Anor’?
72. What was the name of the secret entrance into Mordor that Frodo and Sam used?
73. Who led the forces of Isengard that attacked Helm’s Deep?
74. Which character is known as the Flame of the West?
75. What was the name of the ancient realm of the Dwarves, located within the Misty Mountains?
76. Who was the actor that played the role of Gimli the dwarf in the film adaptations?
77. What is the name of Aragorn’s horse?
78. Who led the elves during the Last Alliance of Elves and Men in the Second Age?
79. Who are the parents of Arwen Undómiel?
80. Which Middle-Earth race is Legolas a member of?
81. What are the Elven-breads, used as sustenance for long journeys, called?
82. Who is the king of Rohan during the War of the Ring?
83. Who gave Frodo the Mithril vest that saved his life?
84. What is the name of the fortress where the Battle of Helm’s Deep takes place?
85. Which actor played the character Boromir in the film adaptations?
86. Who is the keeper of the Paths of the Dead?
87. Who ultimately destroys the One Ring?
88. Which fictional language did Tolkien invent for the Elves?
89. Who is the father of Legolas?
90. What is the name of the ‘Ent’ who carries Merry and Pippin?
91. Which character accidentally discovers the entrance to the Mines of Moria?
92. Which infamous creature resides in the lake outside the Mines of Moria?
93. What’s the name of the immense volcanic mountain where the One Ring was forged?
94. What do the Elves call the One Ring?
95. Who wrote the poem, “All that is gold does not glitter,” which refers to Aragorn?
96. What is the name of the city where the final battle in “The Return of the King” takes place?
97. Who is the first character to actually hold the One Ring in the book “The Fellowship of the Ring”?
98. What gift does Galadriel give to Gimli before the Fellowship leaves Lothlorien?
99. How old was Bilbo Baggins at his eleventy-first (111th) birthday party?
100. Who plays the character of Arwen in the movie adaptation of The Lord of the Rings?
101. Who was the king of Rohan when the Fellowship set out from Rivendell?
102. What is the highest rank among the wizards, and who held this rank in the Third Age?
103. What is the name of the place where Frodo and Sam meet Gollum for the first time?
104. What is the name of the tower where Frodo is taken by the orcs after being poisoned by Shelob?
105. What’s the name of the breed of great Eagles that often aids those opposing the forces of evil in Middle-earth?
106. Who, among the members of the Fellowship of the Ring, is the youngest?
107. What language does Gandalf use to open the door to Moria?
108. Which hobbit stabs the Balrog in Moria in the movie?
109. What were the Dunedain also known as?
110. What is the name of the massive spider that resides in Mirkwood in “The Hobbit”?
111. Who were the original inhabitants of the Glittering Caves behind Helm’s Deep?
112. What is the name of the inn in Bree where the hobbits first meet Aragorn?
113. How many rings of power were given to the Elves?
114. What type of creature is Smaug?
115. Who did Eowyn pretend to be in order to fight in the Battle of Pelennor Fields?
116. What name does Frodo use to conceal his identity when he journeys from the Shire to Bree?
117. Who is the lord of the Nazgûl, the most feared servants of Sauron?
118. What’s the name of the “watcher in the water” that attacks the Fellowship at the entrance of Moria?
119. Which character from The Lord of the Rings has a name that translates to “Elf-friend” in Old English?
120. What is the primary ingredient in the drink ‘Miruvor’?
121. Who ruled the kingdom of Gondor at the time of the War of the Ring?
122. Who were the first beings to inhabit Middle-Earth?
123. Who is the eldest of the Elves and considered the wisest being in Middle-earth?
124. What creature from Middle-earth has the ability to change its skin colour like a chameleon?
125. Which race created the Palantíri, the seeing-stones that allow one to communicate across great distances?
126. Who cut the One Ring from Sauron’s hand?
127. What is the Valarin name for Telperion, one of the Two Trees of Valinor?
128. What’s the largest animal ever to exist in Middle Earth?
129. Who did Arwen’s character replace in the Battle of Helm’s Deep in the movie adaptation?
130. What name did Aragorn use while traveling incognito?
131. What’s the name of the huge elephant-like creatures used in battle by the Haradrim?
Well, there you have it! We hope you enjoyed this Middle-earthly adventure and learned some new things about our favorite hobbits, elves, wizards, and dwarves along the way. Think you’re up for more? Then check out Trivia Bliss’s other quizzes, including a quiz all about dragons. Until next time, may the trivia force be with you! …Wait, wrong franchise.