Welcome to our “reel” fun Classic Movie Quiz! We’ve “scene” it all – the 1920s to the 1970s – and we’re “rolling” out some of the most “action”-packed questions to test your film knowledge. So, get ready to put on your “thinking cap-tion” because it’s time to “frame” your mind around these fantastic cinematic trivia questions. “Cut” the chit-chat, it’s “lights, camera, action”!
1. What classic film is considered the first feature length animated film?
2. Which classic movie had the largest cast ever?
3. What is the most expensive classic movie ever made when adjusted for inflation?
4. Who was the first actress to win an Oscar for a role in a classic film?
5. Which classic film features the longest ever sword fight?
6. What classic movie was the first to be fully shot in Technicolor?
7. Which classic movie had the longest ever running time?
8. What classic film has the most Academy Awards?
9. Who was the first actor to refuse an Oscar for a role in a classic film?
10. What was the first film ever to depict a flushing toilet on screen?
11. Which classic film was the first to have its entire cast nominated for an Academy Award?
12. Who was the first black actor to win an Oscar for a role in a classic film?
13. What classic film had the biggest budget ever?
14. What classic film was the first to have a sequel?
15. Which classic film features the earliest known instance of product placement?
16. Which classic film was the first to be rated X?
17. What classic film was the first to depict a dream sequence?
18. Which film was the first to win the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature?
19. What classic movie was the first to gross over $1 billion worldwide?
20. What is the oldest surviving feature film?
21. Who was the youngest person to ever win an Oscar in a classic film?
22. What was the first film Alfred Hitchcock made in America?
23. What classic film was the first to use the word “vampire”?
24. What was the first science fiction film?
25. What classic film was the first to use 3D technology?
26. What was the first horror film to win an Academy Award?
27. Which classic film was the first to feature a dinosaur?
28. What classic film was the first to depict outer space?
29. What classic film had the first on-screen portrayal of a U.S. president?
30. Who was the first Asian actress to win an Oscar for a role in a classic film?
31. What movie holds the record for the most takes of a single scene?
32. Which film is often credited with launching the ‘summer blockbuster’ phenomenon?
33. What classic film went significantly over-budget due to a real steamboat being used for a single scene?
34. Which classic film’s script was almost entirely improvised by the actors?
35. What film, released in 1927, was one of the first “talkies”?
36. Which classic film, despite its name, doesn’t feature any of its titular animals?
37. Which actor got severely injured during the filming of a classic movie but continued to act through the scene?
38. Which film’s demanding shoot led to an international discussion about the treatment of animals on film sets?
39. What classic film, while a commercial flop, is often cited as one of the most influential movies ever made?
40. What classic film featured real footage of a nuclear explosion?
41. Which silent film, made in 1928, was the last one produced by Warner Bros?
42. Who starred as the iconic Little Tramp in multiple films throughout the 1920s?
43. What 1930 film was the first ‘talkie’ western?
44. What 1933 film featured a giant ape and became an instant classic?
45. What 1940 film was Disney’s first commercial failure, despite later becoming regarded as a masterpiece?
46. Which famous horror actor made his American debut in the 1931 film ‘Dracula’?
47. What classic film noir, released in 1941, features a protagonist by the name of Sam Spade?
48. What controversial 1940 film marked Charlie Chaplin’s first full-sound film?
49. Which 1939 film was based on a Pulitzer prize-winning novel and explores the plight of the working class during the Great Depression?
50. Which 1935 film, starring Clark Gable and Charles Laughton, tells the tale of a famous mutiny aboard a ship?
51. Who directed the 1925 film ‘Battleship Potemkin’, which is often considered one of the greatest films of the silent era?
52. What 1920 film is considered one of the earliest, most influential horror films?
53. Who was the female lead in the 1931 classic film ‘Frankenstein’?
54. Who portrayed the Invisible Man in the 1933 classic of the same name?
55. Which 1942 classic film is set in World War II era Casablanca?
56. Which 1948 film directed by Alfred Hitchcock was shot to look like a single continuous shot?
57. Who played the female lead in the 1940 classic film ‘The Philadelphia Story’?
58. What film won the Best Picture Oscar in 1934, the second year the award was given?
59. Who was the female star of the 1939 film ‘Gone with the Wind’?
60. Which 1949 film starring James Cagney and Virginia Mayo is considered one of the best gangster films of the era?
61. Which classic 1952 film is often considered the greatest musical ever made?
62. What 1957 film is set almost entirely in a jury room?
63. Who directed the 1958 psychological thriller film ‘Vertigo’?
64. What 1964 film is based on a book by Ian Fleming and features a magical flying car?
65. Who played the lead role in the 1966 classic spaghetti western ‘The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly’?
66. Which 1972 film about the mafia is often cited as one of the greatest films of all time?
67. What 1973 horror film caused widespread controversy due to its shocking content?
68. Which 1959 film about WWII had the tagline “It was the longest day”?
69. Who directed the dystopian 1971 film ‘A Clockwork Orange’?
70. What 1960 film, based on a novel by Harper Lee, tackles issues of racial injustice and loss of innocence?
71. What 1954 Japanese film is considered a masterpiece of world cinema and was directed by Akira Kurosawa?
72. Who starred as the lead role in the 1961 classic film ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’?
73. Which 1975 film about a killer shark became the highest-grossing film of its time?
74. What 1956 film was the first to be shot in VistaVision?
75. Who directed the 1960 horror-thriller film ‘Psycho’?
76. What 1977 film about a troubled youth in a dystopian Britain features a distinctive electronic score by Wendy Carlos?
77. Who played the title role in the 1962 classic film ‘Lawrence of Arabia’?
78. What 1971 film, known for its climactic car chase through the streets of San Francisco, stars Steve McQueen?
79. What 1968 science fiction film directed by Stanley Kubrick explores themes of existentialism and artificial intelligence?
80. Which 1953 film won the Academy Award for Best Picture, becoming the first movie in Technicolor to do so?
81. Who is the iconic monster in the 1931 film ‘Frankenstein’?
82. Which actress played the lead role in the 1967 film ‘Belle de Jour’?
83. What 1975 film, directed by Milos Forman, won five major Academy Awards?
84. What film marked Marlon Brando’s screen debut in 1950?
85. Which 1927 film is considered the first full-length feature film to include synchronized dialogue?
86. Who directed the controversial 1960 film ‘Peeping Tom’?
87. Which actress starred in the 1976 film ‘Carrie’, based on the novel by Stephen King?
88. What is the name of the spaceship in the 1968 film ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’?
89. What classic 1939 film featured the line, “There’s no place like home”?
90. Who starred in the 1958 Alfred Hitchcock film ‘Vertigo’?
91. Who played the main character in the 1976 film ‘Rocky’?
92. Which 1968 film famously ends with a planet of apes?
93. What 1946 film noir, directed by Howard Hawks, stars Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall?
94. Who directed the 1920 silent horror film ‘The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari’?
95. What 1955 film features James Dean in one of his most famous roles?
96. Who played the infamous Norman Bates in the 1960 classic thriller ‘Psycho’?
97. Who directed the dystopian 1971 film ‘A Clockwork Orange’?
98. Which 1950 film directed by Billy Wilder, is considered one of the greatest films noir of all time?
99. Who starred as the lead in the 1961 film ‘The Hustler’?
100. What 1933 film features a giant ape and has become a classic of cinema?
101. Who starred in the 1979 science fiction horror film ‘Alien’?
102. Which actor starred in the 1971 film ‘Dirty Harry’?
103. Which actor starred in the 1971 film ‘Dirty Harry’?
104. Which classic 1979 film directed by Ridley Scott is often considered one of the greatest science fiction horror films of all time?
105. What classic 1976 film was based on the true story of a shipwrecked sailor and his tiger companion?
106. Who played the lead role in the 1943 classic film ‘The Ox-Bow Incident’?
107. Which classic 1946 film explores themes of redemption and second chances through an angel named Clarence?
108. What film’s creation led to the inception of the PG-13 rating?
109. What classic film is credited with having the first on-screen kiss?
110. What 1927 film, directed by Fritz Lang, is considered a pioneering work in the science fiction genre?
111. What classic film featured the first on-screen depiction of a time machine?
That’s a “wrap”! Thanks for “starring” in our Classic Movie Quiz. Your performance was truly “Oscar-worthy”! Don’t forget to “take five” and check out the rest of Trivia Bliss’s quizzes for more fun and games, including a quiz about Hollywood directors, and another all about the iconic comedy film Caddyshack. Remember, in the world of trivia, every question is a “premiere”!