Get ready to ride, trivia enthusiasts! We’re about to gallop through some horse-some Kentucky Derby trivia! Ready to jockey for the top spot and show you’re not just a one-trick pony in the world of trivia? Whether you’re here just for the mane event or to stirrup some laughs, we bet this quiz will be the front-runner in fun! So, saddle up, keep your eyes on the prize, and may the horse be with you!
1. Which horse won the very first Kentucky Derby?
2. What is the traditional drink of the Kentucky Derby?
3. How long is the Kentucky Derby in miles?
4. What is the maximum number of horses allowed to compete in the Derby?
5. Which jockey holds the record for most Kentucky Derby wins?
6. What is the nickname for the Kentucky Derby?
7. Which horse holds the record for the fastest time in the Derby?
8. How many roses are in the garland awarded to the Kentucky Derby winner?
9. Which woman jockey was the first to ride in the Kentucky Derby?
10. True or false: The Kentucky Derby trophy is made of solid gold?
11. Which horse was the first to win the Triple Crown?
12. What is the traditional dessert of the Kentucky Derby?
13. In which city is the Kentucky Derby held?
14. Who performs “My Old Kentucky Home” before the race?
15. How many millions of dollars are estimated to be wagered on the Derby each year?
16. How much does the Kentucky Derby trophy weigh?
17. Can you name the horse that was the biggest long shot to win the Derby?
18. How old are horses that run in the Kentucky Derby?
19. What is the name of the racetrack where the Kentucky Derby is held?
20. In what year was the first Kentucky Derby run?
21. Which owner holds the record for most Kentucky Derby wins?
22. In what year did Queen Elizabeth II attend the Kentucky Derby?
23. What is the minimum wager at the Kentucky Derby?
24. How many horses competed in the first Kentucky Derby in 1875?
25. Which 2010 film featured a simulated Kentucky Derby race?
26. What is the significance of wearing hats on Derby Day?
27. Which fashion accessory is awarded to the horse that wins the Kentucky Oaks race?
28. What is the Kentucky Oaks?
29. What kind of food is a “hot brown”, a popular snack at the Derby?
30. How much was the prize money that the winner of the first Kentucky Derby received?
31. What kind of stakes race is the Kentucky Derby classified as?
32. What type of filling is in Kentucky Derby pie?
33. Which horse won by the longest margin in Derby history?
34. About how many people typically attend the Kentucky Derby?
35. What record does the 2018 winner, Justify, hold?
36. How is the post position of the horses determined?
37. What year saw the highest attendance ever at the Kentucky Derby?
38. Which is the official Kentucky Derby Museum located?
39. Who was the youngest jockey to win the Derby?
40. Who was the oldest jockey to win the Derby?
41. True or false: Only male horses (stallions) race at the Kentucky Derby?
42. What are the official colors of the Kentucky Derby?
43. Which network broadcasts the Kentucky Derby?
44. Approximately how many juleps are served over the two-day period of the Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby?
45. What is the name of the song played when the horses make their way from the paddock to the starting gate?
46. What is the name of the piece played by the bugler before the race?
47. What’s the most common first letter of the names of horses that have won the Derby?
48. Who is the official bugler of the Kentucky Derby?
49. What did Secretariat do in 1973 that no other horse has been able to do?
50. How long does the race last?
51. In what year was the the Kentucky Derby first televised across the US?
52. In which month is the Kentucky Derby held?
53. What is the purse for the Kentucky Derby as of 2021?
54. What is the traditional attire for men attending the Derby?
55. What do the twin spires atop Churchill Downs represent?
56. What color is the Winner’s Circle at Churchill Downs?
57. Who rode Secretariat in his iconic wins?
58. Who was the first African American jockey to win the Kentucky Derby?
59. Tue or false: Mint Juleps served at the Derby can cost up to around $1000?
60. What is the infield at the Kentucky Derby known for?
61. Which horse won the derby in 2022?
62. About how many concessions stands are there at Churchill Downs on Derby Day?
63. What is the estimated economic impact of the Derby on the local Louisville economy?
64. Who was the first woman trainer to win the Kentucky Derby?
65. What is the record for the largest Longshot Win in the history of the Derby?
66. True of false: The Kentucky Derby is the longest-running sporting event in the United States?
67. As of 2023, how many geldings have won the Derby?
68. What’s the smallest winning margin in Derby history?
69. How many women have trained the winning horse in the history of the Derby?
You’ve crossed the finish line! Whether you raced ahead or had a photo finish, we hope you had a blast! Feeling unbridled joy and craving more? Trot over to Trivia Bliss and check out our stable of other quizzical delights! Happy trivia trails to you!