Hello, dear quizzers! Ready to embark on a Holmes-tastic journey? Whether you’re a detective at heart or just Wats-on your way to becoming a Sherlock aficionado, this quiz is elementary for some fun! Prepare to deduce, infer, and perhaps giggle a bit as we unravel the mysteries of the great detective’s adventures. So, grab your deerstalker and pipe (optional, of course!), because it’s time to sleuth out some answers!
1. Who is the creator of Sherlock Holmes?
2. In which publication was Sherlock Holmes first introduced?
3. Who is the loyal friend and biographer of Sherlock Holmes?
4. Where did Holmes and Watson live?
5. What is the name of Holmes’ elder brother?
6. Who is Sherlock’s arch-nemesis?
7. In “The Final Problem,” what waterfall is the setting for Holmes’ supposed death?
8. Which novel follows the return of Sherlock Holmes after his presumed death?
9. What is the primary profession of Dr. John Watson?
10. In which story does Holmes face a beastly hound?
11. What musical instrument does Sherlock play?
12. Which substance was Holmes known to use occasionally?
13. Who is the Scotland Yard detective Holmes often assists?
14. In “A Scandal in Bohemia,” who outwits Holmes?
15. Which story was the last Sherlock Holmes case written by Conan Doyle?
16. What phrase is often misattributed to Holmes, but he never actually says in the canon?
17. In which war did Dr. Watson serve as a military surgeon?
18. What is Holmes’ method of solving crimes described as?
19. How many novels and short stories comprise the Sherlock Holmes canon?
20. What kind of cap is Holmes often depicted wearing?
21. What is the name of Holmes’s housekeeper?
22. Which story features the King of Bohemia as a client?
23. What does Holmes refer to as his “seven-per-cent solution”?
24. Which story involves a snake as the murder weapon?
25. Which club did Holmes’s brother Mycroft co-found?
26. Who poses as Holmes to fool Watson in “The Adventure of the Empty House”?
27. In which story does a man’s thumb get cut off?
28. Which tale involves a stolen race horse and its trainer’s murder?
29. What fake identity does Holmes use when visiting Sir Henry Baskerville?
30. In “The Five Orange Pips,” what organization is responsible for the deaths?
31. Which character is described as “the woman” by Holmes?
32. What is the setting of “The Adventure of the Devil’s Foot”?
33. Who is the client in “The Adventure of the Dying Detective”?
34. Which story involves a blue carbuncle found inside a goose?
35. What prized possession does Mary Morstan seek in “The Sign of the Four”?
36. Who confesses love for Dr. Watson in “The Sign of the Four”?
37. Which university did Sherlock Holmes attend?
38. What does Holmes describe as a “three-pipe problem”?
39. Which case was Holmes’s first recorded adventure?
40. Who tries to hire Holmes in “The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet”?
41. What is the precious gem at the heart of “The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle”?
42. What disguise does Holmes use in “The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez”?
43. Which story involves a mysterious cipher?
44. Who was the ill-fated bride in “The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist”?
45. What is the setting of “The Adventure of the Lion’s Mane”?
46. In “The Adventure of the Empty House,” with which weapon was Ronald Adair killed?
47. What is Holmes’s opinion about the supernatural?
48. Which case involves stolen plans for a submarine?
49. Who is known as the “Napoleon of Crime”?
50. In which story does Holmes visit Dartmoor?
51. What is the name of Mycroft’s exclusive club?
52. Which story involves a vampire-like creature?
53. In “The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter,” who is the titular interpreter?
54. Which tale revolves around a missing rugby player?
55. Who is the kingpin of London’s underworld in “The Sign of the Four”?
56. Which character assists Holmes in “The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone”?
57. Who is the main antagonist in “The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton”?
58. Which story features a cursed family gem?
59. Which of Holmes’s cases involves a Christmas goose?
60. Who seeks Holmes’s help in “The Adventure of the Copper Beeches”?
61. Which story centers around the murder of Peter Carey?
62. Who leaves a note with the words “K.K.K.” in “The Five Orange Pips”?
63. Which story involves a client with a mysteriously altered face?
64. In which story does Holmes debunk a myth about an ancient family ghost?
65. Which story deals with a client’s fear of a league of red-headed men?
66. What is the nickname of Isa Whitney’s brother in “The Man with the Twisted Lip”?
67. Which case features the theft of the Crown Jewels?
68. What sport is central to “The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter”?
69. In which story is Watson’s bull-pup mentioned?
70. Who impersonates a plumber to retrieve a photograph in “A Scandal in Bohemia”?
71. What is the cause of death in “The Adventure of the Dying Detective”?
72. What treasure do the villains seek in “The Sign of the Four”?
73. Which story involves a cipher message reading “RACHE”?
74. Who employs a wooden-legged man named Jonathan Small?
75. In which story is Holmes’s client concerned about strange dancing men drawings?
76. Which case involves the disappearance of Mr. Hosmer Angel?
77. Which client is a pawnbroker in “The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet”?
78. Which tale involves the discovery of a lost world?
79. Who is found dead in “The Adventure of the Abbey Grange”?
80. Who seeks help for a missing husband in “The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor”?
81. What’s the primary profession of Sherlock Holmes?
82. Which story revolves around a cipher involving stick-like figures?
83. Who wrote a disparaging note to Holmes in “The Adventure of the Illustrious Client”?
84. Which story concerns a cat and a goose that play crucial roles?
85. Who is the blind banker in the story “The Adventure of the Blind Banker”?
86. What is the central mystery in “The Adventure of the Yellow Face”?
87. Who is the boxer Holmes befriends in “The Sign of the Four”?
88. Who poisoned the Bishop in “The Adventure of the Retired Colourman”?
89. Which story revolves around the death of a Spanish nobleman?
90. In “The Adventure of the Three Gables,” who is the African client?
91. Which story involves an agent named Porlock?
92. What item do Holmes and Watson find at the crime scene in “The Adventure of the Cardboard Box”?
93. What is the distinguishing feature of the client in “The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier”?
94. Which case involves a client from the Andaman Islands?
95. Which story features the death of a circus performer?
96. In which case does a client bring a goose to Holmes’s residence?
97. Which story mentions the fictitious book “The Dynamics of an Asteroid”?
98. What is unique about “The Adventure of the Lion’s Mane” in terms of its narrative?
99. Who is the notorious blackmailer in “The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton”?
100. Which case involves a trained cormorant bird?
101. Which case is related to the KKK’s activities in the USA?
102. Who is the murdered secretary in “The Adventure of the Thor Bridge”?
103. Which tale revolves around an old school rivalry?
104. Who is dubbed as “The Woman” by Sherlock Holmes?
105. In which story does a client believe he’s being stalked by an air-gun assassin?
106. Who is the villain in “The Adventure of the Six Napoleons”?
107. In which story is Holmes hired by a king to retrieve a photograph?
108. Which tale revolves around the disappearance of a trained horse?
109. Who is the client in “The Adventure of the Engineer’s Thumb”?
110. What’s the main issue in “The Adventure of the Speckled Band”?
111. Which story revolves around the mystery of a client’s father’s secretive behavior after an unknown visitor?
112. Which case has a client seeking help about a recurring dream?
113. Who was the murderer in “The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet”?
114. Which tale involves the murder of a gentleman at an opium den?
115. In which story does Holmes decipher a message using a book code?
116. Who hires Holmes to find a missing husband in “The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor”?
117. Which case concerns a series of mysterious disappearances on a train?
118. Which story features a client who fears his feet are turning into duck’s feet?
119. Which tale involves a murder related to a family’s ancient crown?
120. In which story does Holmes solve a case without leaving his home?
121. Which case involves an attempt to steal the naval treaty from the British government?
122. Which story is centered around a client who’s concerned about a league that’s overly interested in his red hair?
123. In which tale does a father go missing after a late-night appointment?
124. Who is the client in “The Adventure of the Copper Beeches” who seeks a governess position?
125. In which story does Holmes showcase his boxing skills?
Bravo on cracking the code of this quiz! If you’re hungry for more trivia challenges, be sure to visit Trivia Bliss for an array of quizzes that will surely test your knowledge and tickle your brain cells, including a quiz all about the television series Sherlock. Until then, happy quizzing!