All aboard the trivia express! Full steam ahead as we chug along the information rails of fascinating train facts. Prepare for an exhilarating ride traveling through tunnels of knowledge, over bridges of discovery, and into stations of enlightenment. So stoke your curiosity engine, because it’s time for departure. Get ready to let off some steam with our collection of 41 riveting railway questions – a veritable buffet car of brain-boggling trivia!
1. What was the name of the world’s first full-scale working railway steam locomotive built in 1804?
2. What is the name of the world’s longest train journey, spanning 9289 km?
3. Which is the highest railway in the world, reaching an altitude of around 5072 meters?
4. What railway uses the most extensive system of cog railways in the world, with 25% of its network using rack-and-pinion?
5. Which train in Japan is famous for being the fastest in the world?
6. What is the name of the luxurious train ride that travels between Pretoria and Cape Town in South Africa?
7. What’s unique about the Flåm Railway in Norway?
8. What makes the Nilgiri Mountain Railway in India unique?
9. Which train holds the record for the longest freight train, measuring over 7.3 km?
10. What country was home to the first underground railway system, built in 1863?
11. What is the name of the train that transported Jews during the Holocaust, now symbolizing the atrocities of World War II?
12. Which U.S. train, in operation since 1914, travels along a scenic route from Durango to Silverton?
13. What Indian city is home to the country’s oldest operating electric tram system in Asia, running since 1902?
14. In which country is the Train Street, where a speeding train passes through an extremely narrow street lined with residential houses and shops?
15. Which company operates the most expensive luxury train in the world, the Maharajas’ Express?
16. What’s special about the Guiness World Record holder for the smallest working train model?
17. What’s unique about the Georgetown Loop Railroad in Colorado?
18. What is the name of the railway line that connects the Atlantic and the Pacific coasts of the United States?
19. Which train, named after the Spanish word for “arrow”, was among the first high-speed trains?
20. Which U.S. city operates the world’s largest elevated train system?
21. Which train in Australia is famous for its journey across the country from Sydney to Perth?
22. What is the name of the scenic train route in Switzerland that has been operational since 1930?
23. What’s unique about the Death Railway in Thailand?
24. What does the “Train of Salt and Sugar” in Mozambique symbolize?
25. Which train in Canada is renowned for its panoramic glass-dome coaches?
26. What’s special about the Seven Stars in Kyushu train in Japan?
27. What is the longest railway tunnel in the world, opened in 2016?
28. What is the only rack railway in Czech Republic, dating back to 1892?
29. Which American city has the oldest electrified commuter rail tunnel still in use, opened in 1908?
30. Which railway in Sri Lanka is famous for its scenic tea-country landscapes?
31. What is the name of the world’s northernmost railway, located in Sweden?
32. What’s unique about the Tren a las Nubes in Argentina?
33. Which city in China boasts the largest metro system by route length?
34. What was the first American city to use subway cars powered by a third rail, implemented in 1897?
35. What record did the TGV Duplex train set in 1990?
36. Which railway in New Zealand is known for its breathtaking views of the Southern Alps?
37. What makes the Jacobite Steam Train in Scotland famous beyond its railway use?
38. What is the name of the cogwheel railway providing the most convenient access to Brazil’s iconic Christ the Redeemer statue?
39. What’s unique about the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway in India?
40. Which U.S. city’s L system features a loop in its downtown area, giving the system its name?
41. What is the name of the scenic railway journey through the Swiss Alps on the Rhaetian Railway?
You’ve now reached the terminus of our trivia journey. But don’t worry, your ticket to trivia land has plenty of rides left! Ready for another tour? Then check out other quizzes on Trivia Bliss to keep your knowledge express chugging along, including a quiz all about motorcycles. Keep feeding that furnace of curiosity, and soon you’ll be a first-class fact connoisseur. So get ready to jump back on board because there’s so much more to explore!