Congratulations! You’re expecting… some intriguing questions. And just like a newborn, they come in rapid succession, each one a joy and a surprise! Ready to go into labor with us as we deliver a package of 111 captivating pregnancy facts, pushing the boundaries of what you thought you knew? Let’s embark on this trimester of trivia, see if you can birth the correct answers, and give your knowledge a healthy boost!
1. What is the name of the hormone primarily responsible for the early signs of pregnancy?
2. When is the earliest a home pregnancy test can typically detect a pregnancy?
3. What is the largest number of babies born to one woman in recorded history?
4. Which famous artist painted “The Birth of Venus,” a work indirectly related to pregnancy and birth?
5. Which organ develops in the body only during pregnancy?
6. What common pregnancy craving did ancient Egyptians believe helped to predict the baby’s gender?
7. Which animal has the longest gestation period, taking over 22 months to give birth?
8. What is the name of the medical condition characterized by severe nausea and vomiting during pregnancy?
9. Which ancient civilization was the first to document the use of a pregnancy test?
10. What percent of pregnant women experience food cravings?
11. Which country was the first to offer paid maternity leave?
12. What was the most expensive baby item ever sold, a solid gold crib, valued at?
13. What causes the dark line that appears on some pregnant women’s bellies, known as the linea nigra?
14. How much does the uterus grow during a typical pregnancy?
15. What is the world record for the shortest labor ever?
16. What happens to a woman’s feet during pregnancy?
17. Which country has the most births per year?
18. Which creature gives birth to the smallest babies relative to its body size?
19. What is couvade syndrome, often experienced by partners of pregnant women?
20. What is the term for the fear of childbirth?
21. How many additional calories does a pregnant woman need in her second and third trimesters?
22. What is the first sense to develop in a fetus?
23. What’s the average weight gain during pregnancy?
24. How many more liters of blood does a woman’s body produce when she is pregnant?
25. What does “gravida” refer to in medical terminology?
26. What factor in a woman’s blood can lead to Rh incompatibility during pregnancy?
27. What is the name for the first stool a baby passes after birth?
28. What is the term for a pregnancy outside of the uterus, most commonly in the fallopian tubes?
29. What is the largest number of surviving babies born at one time?
30. When does a fetus usually start to kick that the mother can feel it?
31. Which element can pregnant women become temporarily intolerant to, due to hormonal changes?
32. What does ‘primipara’ refer to in obstetrics?
33. What hormone is known as the “pregnancy hormone” because its levels increase during pregnancy?
34. In what week of pregnancy does the baby’s heart begin to beat?
35. What is the scientific term for “morning sickness”?
36. When was the first successful in-vitro fertilization (IVF) procedure carried out?
37. How much water does the amniotic sac contain at 34 weeks of pregnancy?
38. Which supplement is recommended to pregnant women to prevent neural tube defects?
39. How long does it typically take for a woman’s body to fully recover from pregnancy and childbirth?
40. What is the term for a birth that occurs between 37 and 42 weeks of pregnancy?
41. Which famous scientist was born prematurely, and doctors thought he wouldn’t survive?
42. Which country has the highest rate of twin births?
43. What condition can result from a lack of vitamin B12 during pregnancy?
44. What is a “rainbow baby”?
45. How many bones does a newborn baby have, compared to an adult?
46. What event during the 20th week of pregnancy marks the midpoint of gestation?
47. What’s the earliest gestational age at which a baby has survived premature birth?
48. What’s the term for a birth that takes place before 37 weeks of pregnancy?
49. How long does implantation of the fertilized egg into the uterus wall take after conception?
50. What’s the average length of a full-term pregnancy?
51. Which famous Hollywood actor was born in an elevator during a hospital power outage?
52. What is the most common day of the week for babies to be born in the United States?
53. Which mammal has the shortest gestation period?
54. What is the term for a baby’s first cry, which helps expand their lungs?
55. What does the Apgar score assess in newborns?
56. What is the term for the surgical removal of the uterus, making pregnancy impossible?
57. What is the term for the pregnant belly often referred to in art and literature?
58. How many stages of labor are there?
59. At what age did the youngest mother on record give birth?
60. How old was the oldest mother to give birth using IVF with her own egg?
61. What is the name of the condition where a woman carries a baby that’s not biologically hers, as in certain types of surrogacy?
62. What is the name of the effect when other women living together often experience synchronized menstrual cycles?
63. At what stage of pregnancy does the fetus start to develop fingerprints?
64. When does the baby’s sex become identifiable via ultrasound?
65. Which hormone helps prepare a woman’s breasts for lactation?
66. How much does the average baby weigh at birth?
67. What part of a newborn’s body is used for stem cell collection?
68. How much taller can a woman become during pregnancy due to changes in her spinal curvature and fluid in her spine?
69. At what point in the pregnancy does the fetus begin to hear?
70. What is the name for a birthing method in which no drugs are used to relieve pain or aid the birth process?
71. What is the heaviest baby ever born, as recorded in the Guinness World Records?
72. What is the term for a newborn baby in its first 28 days of life?
73. What is the name of the small, soft patch on a baby’s head that allows the skull to compress enough for it to pass through the birth canal?
74. How often does a multiple birth occur in the United States, as of 2021?
75. How much, on average, did the cost of a hospital delivery without complications in the U.S. amount to in 2020?
76. When was the first baby born on Antarctica?
77. Which mammal has the longest interval between births?
78. In the womb, when do babies begin to experience REM sleep?
79. Which famous British monarch was born via a caesarean section?
80. How long does the World Health Organization recommend breastfeeding a child?
81. What is the term for a woman who is in her first pregnancy?
82. When does the ‘lightening’ occur in pregnancy?
83. What is the average length of a newborn baby?
84. How long does the average human gestation last, from the first day of the last menstrual period to birth?
85. What is the term for the doctor who specializes in pregnancy, childbirth, and a woman’s reproductive system?
86. What’s the name of the most expensive maternity hospital in the world, located in Hong Kong?
87. What’s the term for a female fetus found inside another, a rare condition seen in less than 1 in 500,000 pregnancies?
88. Which nutrient is crucial during pregnancy to support the baby’s brain and eye development?
89. Which test is done around the 24th to 28th week of pregnancy to screen for gestational diabetes?
90. How much, on average, does a baby’s head circumference measure at birth?
91. What is the term for the pregnancy-related condition that results in high blood pressure and damage to other organs, most often the liver and kidneys?
92. What is the term for the light, downy hair that covers a fetus and newborn baby?
93. At what gestational age are babies considered “full term”?
94. What is the record for the most children delivered by a single woman in her lifetime?
95. What is the waxy, cheese-like substance that covers the skin of a newborn?
96. Which fruit is often compared to the size of a fetus at eight weeks of pregnancy?
97. How much does the uterus expand during pregnancy?
98. How much milk does the average breastfeeding woman produce each day?
99. What is the name of the surgical procedure often performed to aid delivery and prevent severe tears?
100. What is the largest age gap recorded between two twins?
101. What condition during pregnancy causes severe itching but without a rash?
102. What is the term for the fluid-filled sac that contains and protects a fetus in the womb?
103. What is the average number of diapers a newborn goes through in one day?
104. What is the term for the dark line that often appears on a pregnant woman’s abdomen, running from belly button to pubic hair?
105. How many chromosomes does a human egg or sperm cell have?
106. What percentage of pregnancies result in natural twins (without fertility treatments)?
107. What’s the term for the practice of eating non-food substances, often seen in pregnant women?
108. What is the name of the surgical procedure to deliver a baby through the abdomen?
109. In what country did the first successful in-vitro fertilization (IVF) take place?
110. What is the term for the strong emotional attachment that develops between parents and their baby?
111. What’s the name of the hormone detected in a pregnancy test?
Wow, what a journey! You’ve cradled these 111 newborn nuggets of knowledge like a champ. We hope you’ve found this rollercoaster of facts as enlightening and exciting as the miracle of life itself! Now, as you rest and recover, why not take some time to explore the other quizzes here at Trivia Bliss? Just remember, much like expecting a baby, you never know what to expect! Happy quizzing!