Hello, dear quiz-taker! Ready to dive into the med-tastic world of medical trivia? We hope you’ve taken your daily dose of fun facts and are ready for an injection of knowledge. Don’t worry; this won’t hurt a bit! And remember, laughter is the best medicine, so let’s diagnose just how much you know and operate on those brain cells!
1. Who is known as the father of modern medicine?
2. What essential organ in the human body is responsible for filtering blood?
3. In which century was the stethoscope invented?
4. Which part of the human brain is responsible for regulating basic survival functions like breathing?
5. What is the common name for “Epistaxis”?
6. Who discovered penicillin in 1928?
7. Which medical tool was invented by Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen?
8. What’s the more common name for a Myocardial Infarction?
9. What is the smallest bone in the human body?
10. In which organ of the body is insulin produced?
11. Which disease eradicated in 1980 was declared by the World Health Organization as the first to have been eliminated?
12. Which blood type is known as the universal donor?
13. Which disease is caused by the deficiency of Vitamin C?
14. Who wrote the influential medical text “Canon of Medicine” in the Middle Ages?
15. What term refers to a doctor who specializes in treating children?
16. In what part of the body would you find the femur?
17. Which is the most abundant cell type in the human body?
18. What condition is characterized by an abnormally low level of glucose in the blood?
19. Which scientist developed the polio vaccine in the 1950s?
20. What is the medical term for “bad breath”?
21. What does an optometrist test?
22. In which organ of the body is the bile produced?
23. What is the largest internal organ in the human body?
24. Which instrument measures blood pressure?
25. What does the “E” in “E.C.G.” stand for?
26. What medical term means “surgical removal of the appendix”?
27. Which virus is responsible for the common cold?
28. What are the smallest blood vessels in the body called?
29. In which decade was the first successful heart transplant performed?
30. What gland in the human body is referred to as the “master gland”?
31. Which famous nurse, known for her work during the Crimean War, founded the first secular nursing school in the world?
32. What condition is characterized by the loss of bone density?
33. What disease, also known as Hansen’s disease, affects the skin and nerves?
34. Which body part is also known as the axilla?
35. Who is the namesake of the Heimlich maneuver used to rescue choking victims?
36. A failure to produce insulin leads to which chronic health condition?
37. What does “CPR” stand for in medical emergencies?
38. Which bone protects the brain?
39. What is the human body’s biggest organ?
40. Which vitamin is produced by the human skin in response to sunlight?
41. What type of blood cells are responsible for clotting?
42. What condition is also known as “high blood pressure”?
43. Who is known as the pioneer of antiseptic surgery?
44. What does “BMI” stand for in health and fitness?
45. What is the largest bone in the human body?
46. What is the medical term for “low red blood cell count”?
47. Which organ in the human body can regenerate itself?
48. What disease is caused by the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)?
49. Which doctor’s study of the anatomy is still referred to in modern times?
50. Which organ in the human body stores bile?
51. What is the name of the pigment responsible for skin color?
52. Which muscle is considered the strongest in the human body?
53. What are cataracts?
54. Which part of the human body has the most sweat glands?
55. What condition beginning with J causes the skin to turn yellow?
56. Which organ detoxifies chemicals and metabolizes drugs?
57. In which year was the World Health Organization established?
58. What does an otolaryngologist treat?
59. Which blood component is responsible for oxygen transport?
60. How many chambers are there in a human heart?
61. What is the term for “surgical removal of the gallbladder”?
62. Which part of the brain controls motor functions?
63. Who introduced the smallpox vaccine?
64. What do neurons transmit?
65. Which vitamin is also known as riboflavin?
66. What disease was once known as ‘Consumption’?
67. Which blood cells are responsible for immune responses?
68. What is the name of the condition where one has an underactive thyroid?
69. In which organ of the body is the majority of the digestive process completed?
70. Who is known for his work on conditioned reflexes in dogs?
71. What disease is transmitted by the Aedes mosquito?
72. How many pairs of ribs does a human have?
73. What is the term for the study of tumors?
74. Which hormone-producing glands are located on top of the kidneys
75. What is the medical term for “low blood pressure”?
76. In which organ does the fertilization of an egg occur?
77. Who developed the first mercury thermometer?
78. What is the study of the nervous system called?
79. Which vitamin is essential for blood clotting?
80. Which gland regulates metabolism and growth?
81. What disease is also known as “lockjaw”?
82. What is the name of the instrument used to view the inside of the bladder?
83. What does “RBC” stand for in medical terminology?
84. What is the medical term for “joint inflammation”?
85. Who developed the technique of pasteurization?
86. What term refers to a surgical procedure to view the inside of a joint?
87. What is the medical term for “dry mouth”?
88. Which blood type is the most common?
89. What are the two most common types of arthritis?
90. Which organ filters and stores blood?
91. What term refers to the study of diseases?
92. In what part of the body would you find the patella?
93. What is the term for the instrument used to see inside the ear?
94. Which cancer of the female reproductive system is particularly deadly due to its lack of symptoms?
95. What structure connects muscles to bones?Tendons
96. What painful skin affliction is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox?
97. What does “BP” commonly stand for in medical terminology?
98. What condition is characterized by a group of diseases that result in uncontrolled cell growth?
99. Which body system includes the brain and spinal cord?
100. Which vitamin is a common ingredient in skincare products?
101. A syncope is the technical term for what type of medical episode?
102. What disease is caused by the Bordetella pertussis bacterium?
103. Which hormone beginning with C is the primary stress hormone?
104. In what part of the body would you find the bronchi?
105. Bunions occur on what part of the body?
106. A Holter monitor records the electrical activity of which organ
107. What term describes an injury where a joint is forcibly moved out of its normal position?
108. What part of the body is affected by celiac disease?
109. What is the term for a doctor who specializes in surgical procedures involving the heart?
110. What condition is often known by the abbreviation “TMJ”?
111. The three smallest bones in the human body are all inside which sensory organ?
112. Hepatitis is a condition affecting which organ?
113. What does “REM” stand for in relation to sleep?
114. Which hormone is primarily responsible for regulating the metabolic rate?
115. What is the term for a substance that causes allergies?
116. In which organ of the body would you find the atria and ventricles?
117. What is the term for the surgical removal of a tumor?
118. Broca’s area is part of which organ?
119. What medical episode is also known as a CVA, or cerebrovascular accident?
120. Which body system includes the bones and joints?
121. What is the primary function of the alveoli in the lungs?Gas exchange
122. What term refers to the surgical removal of the tonsils?
123. What part of the body is affected by gingivitis?
124. Which part of the eye can change its shape to focus light?
125. What is the study of cells called?
126. Which adult teeth come through last and are frequently removed in early adulthood?
127. Which organ releases glucagon to raise blood sugar levels?
128. Which disease is marked by tremors and is related to dopamine production in the brain?
129. In medical terminology, which 3-letter suffix denotes the presence of cancer?
130. Which organ is responsible for producing hydrochloric acid?
131. In what part of the body would you find the cochlea?
132. Which vitamin is known to help with calcium absorption in the body?
133. What is the medical term for nearsightedness?
134. Which mental health condition was once known as Manic Depression?
135. Who is considered the father of psychoanalysis?
136. What is the term for the protective outer layer of the skin?
137. Which part of the brain is responsible for regulating heartbeat and breathing?
138. Which disease results from a vitamin D deficiency in children?
139. What is the medical term for the large intestine?
140. Which blood vessels carry blood away from the heart?
141. What is the term for a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating disorders of the nervous system?
142. What is the medical term for stitches?
143. What medical condition causes sufferers to fall asleep suddenly and without warning?
144. What is the medical term for a nose-job?
145. Which part of the body is affected by macular degeneration?
146. Which medical imaging technique uses radio waves and a strong magnetic field to create detailed images of organs and tissues?
147. Hair and fingernails are both made of which substance?
148. What is the medical term for the eardrum?
149. What gland produces melatonin?
150. What disease is caused by a buildup of plaques in the arteries?
151. Which vitamin is important for collagen synthesis?
152. Which hormone regulates the sleep-wake cycle and is sometimes used as a sleep aid?
153. Which part of the human body is also known as the voice box?
154. Which chamber of the heart pumps oxygenated blood to the body?
155. Which two medical specialties, usually practised together, relate to women’s reproductive health, pregnancy and childbirth?
156. On what part of the body might a stye develop?
157. A Baker’s Cyst is a painful condition affecting what joint?
158. What is the medical term for the surgical removal of the testicles?
159. Which vitamin can be synthesized by the body when exposed to sunlight?
160. What is the medical term for inflammation of the brain?
161. What is the name of the bone found in the upper arm?
162. What is the medical term for a rapid heart rate?
163. Which organ produces the hormone insulin?
164. What term refers to the number of red blood cells in a volume of blood?
165. Which gland in the brain produces the hormone oxytocin?
166. What is the name of the largest bone in the foot?
167. What is the medical term for inflammation of the liver due to excessive alcohol consumption?
168. In what part of the body is the ulna bone located?
169. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome affects which joint of the upper body?
170. What term beginning with G refers to tubes inserted in the eardrum to treat chronic infection of the middle ear?
171. Which part of the human body produces cerumen?
172. What condition is characterized by an inability to recognize familiar faces?
173. Which gland regulates calcium levels in the bloodstream?
174. Which organ of the body produces urine?
175. What is the term for the outermost layer of the skin?
176. Which part of the body is affected by an otitis media infection?
177. What is the term for a doctor who specializes in treating conditions of the feet?
178. What does the acronym “COPD” stand for in medical terms?
179. The lacrimal glands are responsible for producing which bodily fluid?
180. What is the term for a low level of oxygen in the blood?
181. Pain is usually categorised into which 2 types
182. What is the term for the middle layer of the skin?
183. Which part of the human eye is responsible for color vision?
184. Where in the body is the hyoid bone located?
185. Which bone is located in the forearm and runs parallel to the ulna?
186. The Achilles tendon joins which two body parts?
187. What common name is given to the muscles at the front of the thigh?
188. A UTI is an infection of which part of the budy?
189. Bruxism is the medical term for which habit usually performed while sleeping?
190. What condition is characterized by high levels of uric acid in the blood leading to joint inflammation?
191. The corpus collosum joins the two halves of which organ?
192. What does the acronym “HIV” stand for in medical terms?
193. What is the medical term for inflammation of the bladder?
194. What part of the eye focuses light onto the retina?
195. Who was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine?
196. What does “DNA” stand for?
197. The coccyx is the medical term for which bone?
198. In what part of the body would you find the islets of Langerhans?
199. What is the term for a doctor who specializes in the treatment of diseases of the eye?
You’ve stitched together a great score! If you’re hungry for more, be sure to check out the other quizzes over at Trivia Bliss. Happy quizzing!