Welcome, crafty trivia enthusiasts, to a yarn like no other—a quiz spun with intriguing facts that will have you knitted in suspense. Are you ready to knit-pick your way through our purl of wisdom? Will you remain ‘unraveled’ or will you ‘stitch’ together a victorious score? Do you have the ‘cable-ity’ to decode our cheeky questions, or will you need a ‘skein’ plan? It’s time to ‘cast on’ your thinking caps because we’re about to embark on a trivia adventure that’s truly ‘in-knit’able!
1. When was knitting first believed to be practiced?
2. What is the largest knitted blanket according to the Guinness World Records?
3. What is the most expensive knitting yarn in the world?
4. In which country did Fair Isle knitting originate?
5. What’s the fastest time for knitting a scarf?
6. What unusual material is used in ‘kelp knitting’?
7. What is the world record for the most people knitting simultaneously?
8. Which famous English author was also an avid knitter?
9. In what century did knitting become a household occupation in Europe?
10. What’s the most complex knitting stitch according to many knitters?
11. Which country has a museum entirely dedicated to knitting?
12. What is the title of the first known book about knitting?
13. Which U.S. President’s wife was known for her knitting?
14. What is the oldest knitting needle discovered?
15. What’s the most unusual item ever knitted?
16. What is the origin of the term “knitting”?
17. What’s the largest number of stitches ever held on a knitting needle at one time?
18. What are knitting ‘samplers’?
19. What are the origins of Aran knitting?
20. What bizarre event involved knitting in the 2012 London Olympics opening ceremony?
21. Which state in the United States hosts a popular event known as the “Sheep to Shawl”?
22. What role did knitting play in World War II?
23. Which animal’s wool is considered the softest?
24. Which country is known for its intricate wedding ring shawls?
25. How old is the oldest surviving knitted socks?
26. What’s the fastest time in knitting a Beanie?
27. In the fashion industry, which designer is famous for their knitwear designs?
28. What is the term for knitting with giant needles and thick yarn?
29. What type of knitting is characterized by multicolor geometric patterns, originated from a small island in Canada?
30. What was the “Knit-In” at the Pearl Harbor naval base in 1941?
31. What knitting technique is used to create 3D ‘soft sculptures’?
32. Where is the ‘Sweater Museum’ located?
33. Who holds the record for the longest crochet chain?
34. What unique knitting technique originated in Latvia?
35. What is the oldest known knitted artifact?
36. How were knitting patterns first recorded?
37. What purpose does ‘blocking’ serve in the process of knitting?
38. Which country has the highest number of sheep per capita, contributing to wool production for knitting?
39. What knitting technique is traditionally used to create fisherman’s sweaters?
40. Who is credited with popularizing knitting in the United States in the 20th century?
41. What technique is used in knitting to create a small, detailed design within a knitted piece?
42. Who is known for their knitting-themed artwork?
43. What is the term for a form of knitting where the yarn is cut after every row, rather than carried across the back of the work?
44. Which celebrity is well-known for their love of knitting?
45. In what country did the “Knitting Madonna” painting originate?
46. What is unique about Orenburg shawls?
47. What form of knitting involves only active stitches being held on the needle at one time?
48. What’s the longest scarf ever knitted while running a marathon?
49. Which famous author included knitting in her books, leading to an increase in the craft’s popularity?
50. What is unique about gansey or guernsey sweaters?
51. Where did double knitting originate?
52. Who holds the world record for knitting with the largest needles?
53. What is unique about the Selbu mittens of Norway?
54. What’s the oldest known knitting guild?
55. What kind of yarn is traditionally used for Shetland Lace knitting?
56. Which famous French fashion designer incorporated knitted swimwear into their designs in the 20th century?
57. Who was the fastest person to knit 100 stitches?
58. What’s unique about the traditional knitting style of the Andes?
59. How did the “Madonnas of Europe” project use knitting as a form of unity?
60. What kind of knitting stitch is often used in baby garments due to its softness and flexibility?
61. What type of knitting is characterized by combining two colors in complex patterns and originated in the Fair Isle of Scotland?
62. Who holds the record for the most people knitting simultaneously?
63. What is unique about Sanquhar knitting patterns from Scotland?
64. What are “stitch ‘n bitch” groups?
65. Which scientist used knitting to help understand mathematical problems?
66. What is the name of the technique that uses a crochet hook to knit, often seen in Scandinavian and Eastern European knitting?
67. What does the “Kaffe Fassett” brand specialize in?
68. What does the term “frogging” refer to in knitting?
69. Which country has a tradition of men knitting caps during their courtship period?
70. What role did knitting play in code communication during wars?
71. What is the most common material used for knitting needles today?
72. Who is known for creating large-scale urban knitted installations?
73. What is a knitting Nancy?
74. Which culture has a traditional form of double knitting with elaborate patterns?
75. What is the most expensive yarn in the world?
76. Who created the ‘Knitted Radio’, a functioning radio made entirely from knitted yarn?
77. What is the difference between knitting and crocheting?
78. Who holds the record for knitting with the longest knitting needles?
79. What type of knitting requires the use of a “third needle”?
80. What is the name of the knitting technique that involves twisting or crossing stitches?
81. Which Australian sheep breed produces some of the finest and softest wool used in knitting?
82. What is a knitting machine and who invented it?
83. What’s the most stitches knitted in one minute?
84. Who is credited with popularizing ‘arm knitting’?
85. What is the Shima Seiki WHOLEGARMENT knitting technology?
86. What did archaeologists find in a bog in Denmark that relates to knitting?
87. How did knitting contribute to the war effort during World War II?
88. Who is the author of the popular knitting book ‘Stitch ‘n Bitch: The Knitter’s Handbook’?
89. What is a knitting loom?
90. Who developed the mathematical concept of ‘hyperbolic space’ using crochet?
91. What is the difference between English and Continental knitting styles?
92. What is the name of the Japanese knitting technique that involves multiple colors per row?
93. What is the largest knitted blanket in the world?
94. Who is known as the “Michelangelo of knitting”?
95. What does the term “intarsia” refer to in knitting?
96. What is the origin of the phrase “knit one, purl two”?
97. Who holds the record for the fastest time to knit a 10 x 10 cm square?
98. What are some of the health benefits of knitting?
99. What’s the origin of the Aran sweater and its complex patterns?
100. Who holds the record for the longest French knitting?
101. What’s the primary function of a “lifeline” in knitting?
102. Which country has a strong tradition of lace knitting, especially in the town of Orenburg?
103. What is “steeking” in the context of knitting?
104. What are “DPNs” in knitting?
105. Which animal produces the silky fiber called “mohair” used in knitting?
106. What is the name of the technique where knitters create a textured diamond pattern?
107. In which city is the “Museum of Knitting” located?
108. What role did knitting play in supporting the 2008 U.S. presidential campaign for Barack Obama?
109. What does the term “yarn bombing” mean?
110. What are “knitting guilds” and when did they first emerge?
111. What’s the significance of the “purl stitch” in knitting?
112. Where and when was the oldest knitted artifact found?
113. Who wrote the book “Knitting Without Tears”?
114. What’s the significance of “gauge” in knitting?
115. Which country is known for its knitting tradition involving complex geometric designs and bright colors?
116. What does the term “frogging” mean in the knitting community?
117. What role did knitting play in code communication during wars?
118. What is a “nupp” in the context of knitting?
119. What are the benefits of using circular knitting needles?
120. What is “blocking” in knitting?
121. What are the advantages of using “bamboo knitting needles”?
122. What is “felting” in the context of knitting?
123. What is the name of the knitting technique that involves two colors of yarn being carried at once to create a multicolored effect?
124. What’s the significance of “cable needles” in knitting?
125. Who is often considered the pioneer of “contemporary knitting”?
126. What is a “yarn swift” and what is it used for?
127. Who holds the record for knitting with the largest knitting needles?
128. What does the term “frogging” mean in the context of knitting?
129. What is “yarn over” or “YO” in knitting?
130. What’s the significance of “stitch markers” in knitting?
131. What is the purpose of a “stitch holder” in knitting?
132. What kind of wool is the most expensive for knitting?
133. Which country is well known for its unique knitting technique called “Bohus Stickning”?
134. What does “intarsia” mean in the context of knitting?
135. What’s the origin of the famous “Aran Sweater” in knitting?
136. What is “arm knitting”?
137. What is “illusion knitting” or “shadow knitting”?
138. What was the name of the charity event in which knitters from around the world made blankets for Nelson Mandela’s 90th birthday?
139. Who holds the record for the fastest knitting speed?
140. What is a “yarn bowl” and what is it used for?
141. What is “Entrelac” in the context of knitting?
142. What is the function of a “row counter” in knitting?
143. What is “lace knitting”?
144. What does “tinking” mean in the context of knitting?
145. Who is credited with starting the modern trend of knitting “yarn bombing”?
146. What is the name of the traditional Japanese form of knitting?
147. What does “SSK” stand for in knitting?
148. Who holds the world record for knitting the longest scarf?
149. What is the name of the biennial trade fair held in Leipzig that often features knitting?
150. What does “DPN” stand for in knitting?
151. What’s the purpose of “blocking” in the process of knitting?
152. What is the “Shetland Lace” style of knitting?
153. What is the “Continental” style of knitting?
154. What does “worsted weight” refer to in knitting?
155. What is a “yarn winder” used for in knitting?
156. What is “Faroese Shawl” in the context of knitting?
157. What does “frogging” mean in knitting?
158. What is “steeking” in the context of knitting?
159. Who holds the record for knitting the largest blanket?
160. What is “brioche knitting”?
161. What is the “Orenburg Shawl” in the context of knitting?
162. What is a “stitch marker” used for in knitting?
163. What is “double knitting” in the context of knitting?
164. Who holds the world record for the largest display of crochet sculptures?
165. What is the difference between “knitting” and “crocheting”?
Thanks for ‘weaving’ your way through our ‘knit-tastic’ trivia! We hope it was a ‘purl’ of a time! If you’ve had a ball here, why not unravel more fun facts in our other quizzes, like a quiz all about sewing, or another about meditation, or how about one all about scrapbooking? There’s a skein of knowledge waiting to be discovered at Trivia Bliss!