Hey there, menorah maverick! Ready to spin the dreidel of destiny and delve deep into the doughnut hole of Hanukkah history? This isn’t just any quiz, it’s a latke fun with a side of gelt-y pleasures. Whether you’re here to challah at the answers or just for the festive fry of it, we promise you crazy questions that’ll keep you lit!
1. Which ancient ruler attempted to Hellenize the Jewish people leading to the Maccabean revolt?
2. Which miracle does Hanukkah commemorate?
3. In what century did the events leading to Hanukkah take place?
4. Which Jewish military leader led the Maccabean revolt?
5. Which popular Hanukkah game involves spinning a top?
6. What is the Hebrew term for the Hanukkah candelabrum?
7. How many candles (including the shammash) are on a Hanukkah menorah?
8. What are the fried potato pancakes eaten during Hanukkah called?
9. Which unusual food is popular for Hanukkah in Israel?
10. What is the significance of oil in Hanukkah recipes?
11. In which books of the Bible are the events of Hanukkah recorded?
12. Which modern-day country was the location of the ancient events leading to Hanukkah?
13. What does the Hebrew word “Hanukkah” mean in English?
14. Which organization attempted to ban public Hanukkah celebrations in 2019?
15. Which famous song by Adam Sandler humorously highlights the holiday?
16. What is the proper sequence for lighting the Hanukkah candles?
17. On which Jewish month does Hanukkah start?
18. How many blessings are recited on the first night of Hanukkah before lighting the candles?
19. Which popular Jewish dish made of cheese is also associated with Hanukkah?
20. What is the most expensive Hanukkah menorah ever sold at auction?
21. Which country issued the first Hanukkah postage stamp?
22. What recent technological twist has been added to the traditional dreidel game?
23. In the famous Hanukkah song, “I Have a Little Dreidel”, what material is the dreidel made of?
24. Which modern-day country has the biggest Hanukkah celebration outside of Israel?
25. How do Sephardic Jews (those of Spanish/Portuguese descent) often refer to Hanukkah?
26. What traditional Hanukkah gift is given to children to teach them about charity?
27. Which ancient empire did Antiochus IV rule?
28. Who is credited with making the first electric Hanukkah menorah?
29. In which country did US President Bill Clinton light a Hanukkah menorah for the first time in 1993?
30. Which world-famous landmark has had a giant Hanukkah menorah lighting ceremony since 1974?
31. What is the name of the warrior woman mentioned in the Book of Judith, often associated with Hanukkah stories?
32. What unique ritual do Yemenite Jews perform on Hanukkah?
33. Which president was the first to include a Hanukkah menorah lighting in the national tree lighting ceremony in Washington D.C.?
34. What does the acronym “Nes Gadol Hayah Sham” written on the dreidel mean in English?
35. Which popular superhero comic once featured a Hanukkah special?
36. Who composed the popular Hanukkah song “Ma’oz Tzur”?
37. Which Jewish historian provides one of the most detailed accounts of the Hanukkah story?
38. Which unusual Hanukkah record was set in Tel Aviv in 2014?
39. What Hanukkah tradition involves women refraining from work while the candles are burning?
40. How many branches did the original menorah in the Jewish Temple have?
41. Which Jewish scholar argued that Hanukkah should be a minor festival without many of the customs we associate with it today?
42. How did ancient Jewish warriors signal the start of their revolt, leading to the events of Hanukkah?
43. Which oceanic country has a unique Hanukkah celebration involving water sports?
44. Which spice, representing the Jewish temple, is often used in Ashkenazi Hanukkah recipes?
45. What’s the name of the helper candle used to light other candles on the menorah?
46. What unique Hanukkah tradition involves wearing costumes in Yemenite Jewish communities?
47. Which popular TV series featured a “Chrismukkah” celebration, combining Christmas and Hanukkah traditions?
48. Which European country has a Hanukkah tradition involving a parade with torches?
49. Which Hanukkah song is based on a Welsh folk song and discusses the holiday’s history?
50. In which city is there a Hanukkah tradition of playing a game similar to bowling?
51. What is the most popular type of oil used to light Hanukkah menorahs in Israel?
Hope you had a luminous time unraveling the wonders of Hanukkah! For more tantalizing trivia to tickle your brain cells, don’t forget to check out Trivia Bliss’s array of other quizzes. From history to humor, we’ve got a slice of trivia pie for everyone!