Welcome to our Chernobyl Trivia-tastrophe! While the event itself was no laughing matter, our quiz might just radiate some punny vibes your way. So, put on your thinking ‘hazmat’ and see if you can glow through all these questions!
1. In what year did the Chernobyl disaster occur?
2. The Chernobyl power plant is located near which city?
3. What type of reactor was at the heart of the explosion?
4. Which other country, aside from Ukraine, received a significant portion of the radioactive fallout?
5. How many reactors did the Chernobyl plant have before the disaster?
6. What does the word “Chernobyl” translate to in English?
7. The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone covers an area of approximately how many square kilometers?
8. Which structure was erected to encase the destroyed reactor and limit the spread of radioactive substances?
9. In 2016, what new structure was placed over the original sarcophagus?
10. How many firefighters responded to the initial explosion?
11. Which isotope with a half-life of 30 years became one of the major concerns post-disaster?
12. What was the name of the “bridge” where residents stood to observe the disaster, which later became synonymous with death due to the high radiation?
13. The workers who were sent to clean up the immediate aftermath were referred to by what name?
14. Which Swedish nuclear power plant detected the rise in radiation, leading to the discovery of the Chernobyl disaster outside the Soviet Union?
15. Which animals are thriving and frequently spotted in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone today?
16. What was the primary reason behind the reactor explosion?
17. The famous “Elephant’s Foot” refers to what in the context of Chernobyl?
18. How many hours after the explosion did the evacuation of Pripyat begin?
19. What nearby body of water posed a significant threat of radioactive contamination due to the disaster?
20. Which international organization has overseen various health studies related to the Chernobyl disaster?
21. How many immediate deaths occurred due to the explosion?
22. The Soviet Union acknowledged the disaster to the world after how many days from the explosion?
23. What material was dumped by helicopters to try and contain the burning reactor?
24. Who was the chief supervisor at Chernobyl during the night of the explosion?
25. Which country supported Ukraine in constructing the New Safe Confinement structure?
26. How many people were officially resettled due to the disaster?
27. What’s the name of the forest near Chernobyl that turned red and died due to high radiation levels?
28. Which HBO series brought renewed global attention to the disaster?
29. What protective gear were the liquidators provided, which was insufficient for the high radiation levels?
30. When was the last reactor at Chernobyl officially shut down?
31. In what year did the Soviet government acknowledge that the Chernobyl disaster was human-made due to flawed reactor technology and personnel unprepared to work with it?
32. In what form do many children learn about the Chernobyl disaster today?
33. What kind of mutation has been observed in birds around the exclusion zone?
34. Who was the Soviet leader at the time of the Chernobyl disaster?
35. How long did the construction of the original sarcophagus take?
36. How many men were imprisoned for their involvement in the causes of the disaster?
37. What animal, initially thought to decrease in number, has significantly increased its population in the Exclusion Zone?
38. What nickname was given to the children affected by the Chernobyl radiation?
39. Which Nobel Prize-winning author wrote a book based on interviews with people affected by the Chernobyl disaster?
40. Which radioactive isotope was responsible for the majority of the external dose to persons living in the contaminated areas?
41. What percentage of Europe’s land area was contaminated with cesium-137 due to the explosion?
42. What’s the estimated number of premature deaths caused by the disaster, according to various studies?
43. How much did the New Safe Confinement structure cost?
44. Which iconic landmark did a group of thrill-seekers climb in 2016, resulting in a viral video from the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone?
45. What type of farms was found thriving in the Exclusion Zone, which surprised many scientists?
46. What unit is used to measure the level of radiation exposure?
47. What thick liquid metal was initially proposed to be used to cool down the reactor?
48. Which group of workers at the site had the shortest shifts, sometimes just a few minutes, due to extremely high radiation levels?
49. Why is it safe for tourists to visit the Exclusion Zone today, despite the radioactive background?
50. How long will the New Safe Confinement structure last before it needs replacing?
51. In the immediate aftermath of the disaster, what material was placed on the ground in Pripyat to reduce the spread of radioactivity?
52. Who commissioned the construction of the city of Pripyat?
53. What plant has been observed growing rapidly in the Red Forest, despite the high radiation levels?
54. Which former Chernobyl worker gave testimony that contributed to understanding the events leading up to the explosion?
55. How many days after the explosion was the immediate danger and threat of another explosion averted?
56. Before the explosion, how much of Ukraine’s electricity was generated by the Chernobyl power plant?
57. When is “Chernobyl Day” commemorated each year?
58. Which tree species has been particularly robust and has expanded its presence in the Exclusion Zone?
59. What’s the most significant threat of the Chernobyl site today?
Thanks for ‘fueling’ your curiosity with this quiz! If you’re still ‘nuclear’ about trivia, check out other electrifying quizzes on Trivia Bliss. Stay charged!