Welcome to our high-flying, propeller-spinning, turbulence-free trivia quiz! Are you ready to skyrocket your knowledge and jet off into a world of aerodynamic anecdotes and aviation achievements? This quiz will surely have you on cloud nine.
Fasten your seatbelts, secure your tray tables, and ensure your brain-baggage is stowed in the overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you. It’s time for takeoff!
1. Which duo is considered the fathers of aviation?
2. What is the name of the largest commercial airplane?
3. Which part of an airplane provides lift and balance?
4. Which airline has a kangaroo as its logo?
5. What is the longest non-stop commercial flight by distance?
6. Where is the busiest airport in the world, by passenger numbers?
7. Who is the largest manufacturer of large commercial jetliners?
8. In which year was the Aviation Safety Reporting System (ASRS) established?
9. Which airplane holds the record for the fastest speed?
10. Supermarine Spitfire is a military airplane used in which war?
11. What spacecraft made the first manned mission to the moon?
12. What movie features Tom Cruise as a daring fighter pilot?
13. Which airplane is known as the ‘Queen of the Skies’?
14. What technology allows passengers to use the Internet during the flight?
15. Who was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean?
16. What is the name of the Japanese airline that painted one of its airplanes with Pokemon characters?
17. What is the science of flight called?
18. What is the main hub for Emirates airlines?
19. What is the world’s largest twin-jet airplane?
20. Who set the record for the fastest non-stop solo flight around the world?
21. Which British airline is the largest operator of the Boeing 747?
22. Which airport is located on an artificial island?
23. What part of the airplane reduces drag and provides additional lift?
24. Which country produces the Sukhoi series of military aircraft?
25. Who was the first pilot to break the sound barrier?
26. What was the first supersonic passenger airplane?
27. Which airline was the launch customer for the Airbus A380?
28. What is the role of a “Flight Engineer”?
29. What was the nickname of Charles Lindbergh’s plane which he flew solo across the Atlantic?
30. Can you name an air sport that involves using a lightweight glider?
31. Which company is developing the “Starship” spacecraft?
32. Name the pilot who landed US Airways Flight 1549 on the Hudson River in 2009.
33. Which organization oversees aviation safety in the United States?
34. What is the term for the direction of a vehicle, relative to the ground?
35. What is the highest altitude a helicopter has flown?
36. What was the first jet airliner?
37. Where is the Emirates airline based?
38. Which city was the first to have an air traffic control tower?
39. Whose job is it to maintain aircraft and ensure that they are safe and ready for flight?
40. What is the aircraft that uses tiltrotor design to take off and land vertically?
41. What material is predominantly used in modern airplane construction?
42. Which country operates the military aircraft known as “MiG”?
43. What’s the name of the method used by aircraft to land in low visibility conditions?
44. What is the world’s highest commercial airport?
45. Which plane was used to drop the atomic bombs during World War II?
46. What’s the name of the SpaceX spacecraft that takes astronauts to the International Space Station?
47. What is ‘Bermuda Triangle’ known for in aviation history?
48. What is the main purpose of an aircraft’s black box?
49. How many engines does a Boeing 747 have?
50. What is aerobatics?
51. Which 1980 disaster movie features a crippled airplane attempting to land?
52. Which organization regulates civil aviation safety in Europe?
53. What type of aircraft can take-off and land on water?
54. What’s the name of the largest helicopter ever built?
55. In which country is the airline “Lufthansa” based?
56. What is the speed of sound at sea level?
57. Which city is home to the headquarters of Boeing?
58. What do the letters in NASA stand for?
59. What’s the name of the first woman pilot to fly solo around the globe?
60. Which part of an airplane is used for storing luggage?
61. Who invented the autopilot?
62. What is currently the largest aircraft in the world?
63. What is the shortest runway in the world?
64. What is the most produced aircraft of all time?
65. Which pilot is known for being the first pilot to fly upside down??
66. Which private company is known for launching reusable rockets?
67. What is the fastest commercial helicopter?
68. What is the biggest cargo airplane in the world?
69. The most passengers on a single flight were flown out of which country?
70. Who wrote the novel “The Pilot”?
71. Which country operates the military aircraft known as Rafale?
72. Which airplane was known as the ‘Spruce Goose’?
73. What kind of engine does a Boeing 787 use?
74. What is the maximum speed of an SR-71 Blackbird?
75. Who was the first person to fly a plane across the Pacific Ocean?
76. Who became the CEO of Airbus in 2019?
77. What was the first spacecraft to carry a human to the moon?
78. What is the main purpose of spoilers on an airplane?
79. Who invented the jet engine?
80. What is the “steering wheel” of an airplane called?
81. What does the term ‘Mach 1’ refer to in aviation?
Congratulations, aviators! You’ve successfully navigated the airspace of our quiz, earning your wings in aeroplane trivia. Not ready for landing? Keep your knowledge soaring high by exploring the other exhilarating quizzes on Trivia Bliss. Safe travels and happy quizzing!