Welcome to this hip-hoppin’, history-poppin’ trivia quiz on African American leaders that’s going to test your knowledge of great black men and women! Put on your thinking caps and get ready to race through this civil right of passage.
Don’t worry if you hit a bump on the road to victory, just March on Washington-style. So, buckle up, we’re about to take an underground railroad of knowledge!
1. Who was the first African American woman to travel to space?
2. Who was the first African American elected to the U.S. Senate?
3. Who was the first African American to win a Tony Award for Best Actress in a Play?
4. Who was the first African American billionaire and a Charlotte Bobcats owner?
5. Who was the first African American author to win a Pulitzer Prize?
6. Name the first African American to sit on the Supreme Court.
7. Name the first African American quarterback to win a Super Bowl.
8. Who was the first African American woman to host a nationally syndicated talk show?
9. Who was named the “Mother of the Civil Rights Movement”?
10. Which iconic leader delivered the famous “I Have a Dream” speech?
11. Who is the first African American designer to be named creative director at a French luxury fashion house?
12. What was the name of the prominent black nationalist leader who advocated for self-defense and was a spokesman for the Nation of Islam?
13. Who was the first African American man to travel into space?
14. Name the first African American man to win a Grand Slam tennis title.
15. Who was the famous female abolitionist who lead hundreds of slaves to freedom via the Underground Railroad?
16. Who is considered as the “Father of Gospel Music”?
17. Who was the first African American woman elected to Congress?
18. Which African American inventor held a patent for a lubrication device used in steam engines?
19. Who composed the song “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing,” often referred to as the “Black National Anthem”?
20. Which Civil Rights leader led the final segment of the Selma to Montgomery marches in 1965?
21. Who was the African American mathematician that helped NASA land on the moon?
22. Who was the first African American female Principal Dancer with the prestigious American Ballet Theatre?
23. Who was the first African American to serve as U.S. Secretary of State?
24. Can you name the African American painter famous for his Migration Series, depicting the migration of African Americans from the rural South to the urban North?
25. Who was the first hip-hop artist to become a billionaire?
26. Can you name the first African American person to become president of the United States?
27. Who founded Tuskegee Institute in 1881?
28. Who was the first African American woman to win an Academy Award for Best Actress?
29. Who is credited as the first African American to receive a patent, for a method of dry cleaning?
30. Who founded the National Council of Negro Women?
31. Which African American scientist and inventor developed 300 derivative products from peanuts and sweet potatoes?
32. Can you name the African American poet who was a leading figure during the Harlem Renaissance?
33. Can you name the first African American woman to serve as U.S. Secretary of State?
34. Who is the first African American and first woman to serve as Vice President of the United States?
35. Who was the first African American woman elected to the Texas Senate after Reconstruction, and the first Southern African American woman elected to the U.S. House of Representatives?
36. Who was known as the “Queen of Jazz”?
37. Who commanded the all-black 99th Pursuit Squadron (later, 99th Fighter Squadron) in World War II, known as the “Tuskegee Airmen”?
38. Which African American lawyer and scholar developed the concept of intersectionality?
39. Who are the founders of the Black Lives Matter movement?
40. Who was the first African American woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, for her novel “The Color Purple”?
41. Who was the first African American woman to win a Grand Slam title?
42. Can you name the former mayor of New Orleans who later became the CEO of the National Urban League?
43. Who is the author of “Just Mercy” and the founder of the Equal Justice Initiative?
44. Who was the first African American woman to win the Nobel Prize in Literature?
45. Who was the former slave who became a prominent abolitionist and wrote a famous autobiography?
You’ve jazzed through these questions like the Duke! Now boogie on down to Trivia Bliss for more quizzes that are sure to quench your thirst for knowledge. Engage your mind, learn something new, and most importantly, have fun and never stop quizzing! Until then, keep the trivia Winfrey blowing! Shine bright, trivia titan!