Welcome to the “Sensational Sixties” trivia! The questions are about to “take off” faster than a ’64 Mustang! Ready to “twist and shout” your way through these fun facts about the decade that gave us everything from the Beatles to bell-bottoms?
We “Can’t Help Falling in Love” with the ’60s and we hope you’ll feel the same way too. So hang on to your go-go boots and let’s do the twist down memory lane!
1. Who was the President of the United States at the start of the 1960s?
2. What famous event did Martin Luther King Jr. lead in 1963?
3. Which famous rock band from Liverpool, England, formed in 1960?
4. What was the name of the popular fashion doll introduced by Mattel in 1959?
5. What was the name of the first James Bond film, released in 1962?
6. What civil rights legislation did President Lyndon B. Johnson sign into law in 1964?
7. Who won the Best Actress Oscar in 1962 for her role in ‘The Miracle Worker’?
8. Who was the heavyweight boxing champion from 1964 to 1967?
9. Which spacecraft carried the first humans to the moon in 1969?
10. Who wrote the classic novel “To Kill a Mockingbird”, published in 1960?
11. What groundbreaking British TV show premiered in 1963 featuring a time-traveling alien?
12. What new dance became a craze after Chubby Checker’s song about it in 1960?
13. Which car, often associated with the 60’s, was first produced by Ford in 1964?
14. Who delivered the famous ‘I have a dream’ speech in 1963?
15. What popular toy first marketed in 1959 involves inserting multi-colored plastic pegs into a board to form a picture?
16. The abstract painting “No. 5” sold for $140 million in 2006. Who was the artist?
17. What popular rock and roll dance venue in San Francisco opened in 1965?
18. Which major sporting event was first broadcast in color on network television in 1965?
19. What epic historical drama won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1960?
20. Who was the first man to walk on the moon in 1969?
21. What was the name of the first successful weather satellite, launched in 1960?
22. Who was the first African-American student to enroll at the University of Mississippi in 1962?
23. Who assassinated Robert F. Kennedy in 1968?
24. Who starred as Holly Golightly in the 1961 film ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’?
25. Which artist’s Campbell’s Soup Cans series became iconic of the Pop Art movement in the 1960s?
26. Who was the first woman to run as a numbered participant in the Boston Marathon in 1967?
27. Which Motown group had a hit in 1964 with “My Girl”?
28. What was the name of the contraceptive pill approved by the FDA in 1960?
29. What was the top-rated television show in the U.S. for the 1969-1970 season?
30. What famous protest against the Vietnam War took place at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago?
31. What was the name of the famous music festival that took place in New York in 1969?
32. What popular board game, invented in 1960, involves strategic negotiation and conflict?
33. What 1962 novel by Anthony Burgess was later adapted into a film by Stanley Kubrick?
34. Who was the famous “cool” male fashion icon and film star of the 1960s known for his roles in ‘The Great Escape’ and ‘Bullitt’?
35. What French oceanographer co-developed the Aqua-Lung in the late 1940s, and had a popular American TV show in the 1960s?
36. Which animated television show, featuring a modern Stone Age family, premiered in 1960?
37. Who was the British Prime Minister at the beginning of the 1960s?
38. What book by Betty Friedan is often credited with sparking the second wave of American feminism in the 20th century?
39. What was the name of the supersonic passenger airliner that was first flown in 1969?
40. What iconic 60s fashion trend did designer Mary Quant popularize?
41. What does the 1960s term “flower power” refer to?
42. What was the name of the spacecraft in which three astronauts died during a ground test in 1967?
43. Which famous rock and roll singer starred in the 1964 movie “Viva Las Vegas”?
44. What was the name of the first video game, invented by physicist William Higinbotham in 1958, that became popular in the 1960s?
45. Name the first spy satellite of the United States, launched in the 1960s to take photographic surveillance of the Soviet Union.
46. Which country hosted the 1968 Summer Olympic Games?
47. Who hosted the popular children’s television show “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood”, which first aired in 1968?
48. What was the nickname for the high-speed, mirror-finish, metallic paint used on custom and production cars in the 60s?
49. Name the site in New York where a famous three-day music festival took place in 1969.
50. What was the name of the first close-up photographs of Mars, taken by which spacecraft in 1965?
51. What was the name of the American side of the Niagara Falls that “shut off” water flow in 1969 for several months?
52. What was the name of the popular 60s dance made famous by a song of the same name by Little Eva?
53. What was the name of a major public health campaign in the 60s which aimed to immunize children against polio?
54. What culinary trend took off in the 1960s with the introduction of the refrigerator?
55. What was the name of the most famous concert venue in London during the Swinging Sixties?
That’s all, folks! You’ve “surfed” your way through the “Sensational Sixties” trivia. We hope you’ve had a “blast” and learned a thing or two about this iconic decade. Don’t forget to check out our other quizzes on Trivia Bliss.
There’s a whole “world of pure imagination” waiting for you, filled with questions from all decades and topics. Happy quizzing!