Beam up, suit up, and plug in, trivia trekkers! You’re about to embark on a pun-filled journey to the farthest corners of the sci-fi universe. No need for a TARDIS or a warp drive – all you need is your wits, a love for the strange and unusual, and perhaps a helpful android or two. But be warned: this quiz has more twists than a wormhole and more surprises than an alien popping out of a chest. So, set your phasers to ‘fun’ and may the facts be with you!
1. What 1951 science fiction film was the first to depict humans encountering extraterrestrial life?
2. What is the title of the first science fiction novel?
3. Who is considered the first science fiction author?
4. Which was the first science fiction TV show?
5. What was the first science fiction film to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar?
6. Who is the author of the first science fiction book to become a New York Times bestseller?
7. What was the first science fiction magazine?
8. What was the first science fiction film to win an Oscar for Best Visual Effects?
9. Who was the first person to win the Hugo, Nebula, and John W. Campbell Memorial Awards for the same novel?
10. What science fiction novel, written in 1864, predicted weightlessness although its author knew nothing about the concept?
11. What is the name of the most expensive science fiction film ever made?
12. Who was the first female author to win a Hugo Award for a novel?
13. What was the first science fiction television series to be broadcast in color?
14. Who was the first African-American woman to write a science fiction novel?
15. What was the first science fiction novel to discuss the concept of a “multiverse”?
16. What science fiction author was the first to use the term “robotics” in a short story?
17. What was the first science fiction comic book?
18. What was the first science fiction film to win the Academy Award for Best Picture?
19. What was the first science fiction book to be featured on The New York Times Best Seller list?
20. What is the name of the first science fiction radio program?
21. What was the first science fiction film to receive a rating of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes?
22. Who was the first science fiction writer to receive the MacArthur Fellowship, also known as the “Genius Grant”?
23. What was the first science fiction work to feature a computer virus?
24. What is the highest-grossing science fiction film of all time?
25. Who was the first science fiction author to have a book on the New York Times bestseller list for more than a few weeks?
26. What was the first science fiction novel to describe an alien language?
27. Which science fiction author was the first to win the Hugo and Nebula awards for two consecutive novels?
28. What was the first science fiction film to be selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry?
29. What science fiction author was the first to propose the idea of a space elevator?
30. Who was the first science fiction author to be awarded the title of Grand Master by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America?
31. Which science fiction novel, written in the 1860s, predicted the internet, voicemail, and electric lights?
32. Which popular science fiction series is known for its invented language, Klingon?
33. Which iconic science fiction character was originally going to be a large, furry creature?
34. Which science fiction book holds the record for the most sold copies of a single title?
35. What was the budget of the 2012 science fiction film “John Carter”, known for being one of the biggest box office flops?
36. Which famous science fiction author coined the term “cyberspace” in a 1982 short story?
37. How many languages has the science fiction novel “The War of the Worlds” been translated into?
38. What is the highest number of seasons a science fiction television series has ever achieved?
39. What is the longest science fiction film ever made?
40. How many awards has the science fiction television series “Star Trek: The Next Generation” won over its seven-season run?
41. Which popular science fiction film was the most expensive film ever made at the time of its release in 1991?
42. Which science fiction author’s works have been adapted into films more than any other?
43. What science fiction novel contains a language known as “Newspeak”?
44. How much did the original 1977 Star Wars movie gross at the box office?
45. What science fiction book series holds the Guinness World Record for the most translated book by a living author?
46. How many Hugo Awards has the science fiction author Robert A. Heinlein won?
47. Which science fiction film has the biggest ever opening weekend at the box office?
48. Which science fiction book predicted the concept of Atomic Power years before it became a reality?
49. What science fiction film was the first to cost more than $100 million to produce?
50. Which science fiction author has sold the most books worldwide?
51. What is the name of the human protagonist in “War of the Worlds” by H.G. Wells?
52. Who is the main character in Isaac Asimov’s “Foundation” series?
53. In “Star Trek”, what is Spock’s full title?
54. Who is the female lead in the “Divergent” series?
55. What character in “Star Wars” said the line, “Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope”?
56. Who is the three-eyed, telepathic “alien” in Stephen King’s “The Tommyknockers”?
57. In Philip K. Dick’s “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”, what is the profession of the protagonist, Rick Deckard?
58. In the “Matrix” trilogy, who is the main antagonist?
59. What is the name of the robot in Isaac Asimov’s “I, Robot”?
60. In “A Clockwork Orange”, what is the name of the violent protagonist?
61. Who is the main villain in the original “Blade Runner” movie?
62. What is the name of the time-traveling character in H.G. Wells’ “The Time Machine”?
63. Who is the protagonist of Orson Scott Card’s “Ender’s Game”?
64. What is the name of the powerful psychic character in Stephen King’s “The Stand”?
65. Who is the central character in Frank Herbert’s “Dune” series?
66. What character in “Star Wars” said the line, “The Force will be with you, always”?
67. Who is the captain of the starship Enterprise in the original “Star Trek” series?
68. In the “Hunger Games” series, who is the main male character from District 12?
69. In “2001: A Space Odyssey”, what is the name of the sentient computer?
70. Who is the leader of the Autobots in the “Transformers” series?
71. In “Brave New World”, what is the name of the Savage who represents individual freedom?
72. Who is the alien protagonist in “The Man Who Fell to Earth”?
73. What is the name of the AI system that Tony Stark created in the “Iron Man” comics and films?
74. Who is the main character in the “Matrix” trilogy?
75. What is the name of the extraterrestrial species in the “Alien” franchise?
76. In the “Star Wars” universe, who is Anakin Skywalker’s master?
77. In “Doctor Who”, who is the Doctor’s greatest enemy?
78. What is the name of the main character in “Snow Crash” by Neal Stephenson?
79. Who is the central character in the “Battlestar Galactica” series?
80. What is the name of the protagonist in “The War of the Worlds” 2005 film adaptation?
81. In “Star Wars”, what is the name of the ultimate weapon destroyed by the Rebel Alliance?
82. In “The War of the Worlds”, what happens to the Martians at the end of the novel?
83. What event triggers the journey of Frodo Baggins in “The Lord of the Rings”?
84. In “Star Trek”, what is the Prime Directive?
85. In “Ender’s Game”, what event is revealed to be real and not a simulation?
86. In “The Matrix”, what is the name of the city where the last human beings live?
87. In “The Hunger Games”, what is the name of the annual event where children are chosen to fight to the death?
88. In “A Clockwork Orange”, what technique is used to “cure” Alex DeLarge of his violent tendencies?
89. In “Blade Runner”, what test is used to detect replicants?
90. In “1984”, what is the name of the surveillance technology used by the Party to monitor its citizens?
91. In “Dune”, what is the name of the valuable resource found on the planet Arrakis?
92. In “The Day The Earth Stood Still”, what happens when the phrase “Klaatu barada nikto” is spoken?
93. In “Battlestar Galactica”, what catastrophic event forces the remnants of humanity to flee their homes?
94. In the “Foundation” series, what is the name of the concept that allows for prediction of future events?
95. In “Planet of the Apes”, what famous landmark reveals the true nature of the planet to Taylor?
96. In “The Time Machine”, to what year does the Time Traveler first journey?
97. In the “Matrix” trilogy, what is the prophecy that Neo is expected to fulfill?
98. In “Brave New World”, what event prompts John the Savage’s rebellion against the World State?
99. In “2001: A Space Odyssey”, what event prompts HAL 9000 to turn on the ship’s crew?
100. In “Star Wars”, what event leads to the creation of Darth Vader?
101. In “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?”, what event leads to the extinction of most animals?
102. In the “Terminator” series, what is the name of the event in which AI becomes self-aware and turns on humanity?
103. In “Snow Crash”, what is the name of the virtual reality space where much of the action takes place?
104. In “The War of the Worlds”, what event signals the arrival of the Martians?
105. In the “Star Trek” universe, what event resulted in first contact between humans and Vulcans?
106. In “The Day of the Triffids”, what event blinds most of the world’s population?
107. In “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”, what event triggers Arthur Dent’s interstellar journey?
108. In “Neuromancer”, what is the name of the event where two AI entities merge?
109. In “The Hunger Games”, what event sparks a rebellion in the districts?
110. In “The Left Hand of Darkness”, what is the name of the event where Gethenians become sexually active?
111. Who directed the 1979 film “Alien”?
112. What classic science fiction film was famously shot in reverse chronological order?
113. For what film did Stanley Kubrick famously demand over 100 takes for certain scenes?
114. What 1977 film used miniatures for space scenes because CGI technology was not yet advanced enough?
115. Who wrote and directed “The Fifth Element”?
116. What 1982 film used the technique of “rotoscoping” for its light cycle sequences?
117. Who was the main puppeteer behind the character of Yoda in “Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back”?
118. What famous science fiction director was also an accomplished painter, and created much of the conceptual art for his films?
119. Who composed the iconic soundtrack for “Inception”?
120. What famous horror director was originally slated to direct the 1980 film “Dune”, but dropped out due to creative differences?
121. What notable science fiction director was a former truck driver and had never attended film school?
Wow, you’ve journeyed through the cosmos and back, battled alien questions and came out a trivia warrior! As you return to your Earthly routine, don’t forget that there are more adventures awaiting you in the vast expanse of Trivia Bliss, including a quiz all about The Mandalorian. From the depths of history to the heights of pop culture, we’ve got quizzes that are out of this world. So keep your curiosity fueled, your trivia blaster charged, and remember: the quiz must go on!