Hiya geography nerds! Ready to dive right into our lake of knowledge? We have compiled a collection of questions that will test whether you’re a placid pond of facts or a raging river of trivia. You may find some questions a bit “deep”, so don’t “spring” out of your chair if you find them “dam” hard. Just “stream” through and don’t let the current of difficult questions “waterlog” your spirit.
So, brace yourself, because things are about to get “wet and wild” in the world of lake trivia!
1. What is the largest lake on Earth by surface area?
2. Can you name the deepest lake on Earth?
3. Can you name the largest lake in Africa?
4. Which lake is known as the highest navigable lake in the world?
5. What is the largest freshwater lake by volume in the world?
6. What is the name of the deepest lake in the U.S.?
7. Which European lake is shared by Switzerland, Germany, and Austria?
8. Can you name a lake that is famously known for its high salinity?
9. In which lake would you find the Loch Ness Monster according to the folklore?
10. What is the main outflow river of Lake Victoria?
11. Which lake was formed by the Hoover Dam in the U.S.?
12. Name the lake that is divided by the equator in Africa.
13. Which Canadian lake is known for its clarity and is one of the deepest in the world?
14. Which is the largest of the Great Lakes in North America by volume?
15. What lake in Australia is known for its pink color?
16. What African lake is known for its dangerous levels of methane gas?
17. Which lake, located in Siberia, is considered the cleanest lake in the world?
18. Which Oregon lake is known for its extraordinarily clear blue waters?
19. Can you name the largest lake located entirely in Canada?
20. Which lake in Africa is known as the “Jewel of the Kalahari”?
21. What is the name of the highest lake in the world?
22. Which lake, bordered by Jordan to the east and Israel and Palestine to the west, is known for its healing properties?
23. Which lake in Scotland holds more water than all the lakes of England and Wales combined?
24. What lake, created by a meteorite impact, is the second-largest lake in Estonia?
25. Can you name the second largest freshwater lake in the world?
26. What is the largest man-made lake in the world?
27. Which lake in India is the largest saltwater lake in Asia?
28. What lake in Philippines is said to be the crater of a dormant volcano?
29. On which lake would you find the historic city of Geneva?
30. What is the second deepest lake in Africa?
31. Which lake in Italy is famed for its attractive setting amidst the mountains?
32. What is the deepest lake in Africa?
33. In which lake would you find the world’s largest island within an island?
34. Which saltwater lake in Iran is one of the largest of its kind in the world?
35. Which of the Great Lakes is the largest?
36. In which mountain range will you find Lake Titicaca?
37. Which lake is the largest in South America?
38. What’s the largest lake in Asia?
39. Which African lake is world-renowned for its wildlife and distinct layers of water?
40. Which is the largest alpine lake in North America?
41. What European lake is known as the “eye of the sea”?
42. Which lake in New Zealand is the site of the earliest known human settlement in the country?
43. What is the largest lake in Central Europe?
44. Which lake is the largest body of water in Great Britain?
45. Which lake, located in Alaska, holds the record for the largest seiche waves ever recorded?
46. Which lake is known as the ‘jewel of the Italian Lakes’?
47. What lake in Russia is considered the deepest in the country?
48. Which lake in Antarctica is buried under 2.5 miles of ice?
49. Which lake in India is the world’s second saltiest lake?
50. What is the largest lake in the Baltic States by surface area?
51. Which is the largest lake in the Caribbean?
52. What lake in Central Asia lies between Kazakhstan in the north and Uzbekistan in the south?
53. Which lake is known as the largest in the world situated on an island?
54. Which lake is the largest permanent desert lake in the world?
55. What is the largest lake in Central America by volume?
56. Can you name the largest lake in Japan?
57. Which lake is considered the lowest point in Africa?
58. What is the largest lake by surface area in South America?
59. What is the largest man-made reservoir in the United States by volume?
60. Which lake is the largest in Finland, a country known for its thousands of lakes?
61. What is the largest lake on the island of Ireland?
62. Which iconic Canadian lake is known for its striking turquoise blue color due to rock flour in the water?
63. What lake on the border of Bolivia and Peru is known for its floating islands?
64. Which is the largest lake in the Middle East?
65. What is the largest lake in Australia, often dry due to the country’s arid climate?
66. Which Canadian lake holds the record for the world’s largest recorded lake effect snowfall in a 24-hour period?
67. What popular lake is located on the border between Nevada and California?
68. What is the name of the largest freshwater lake by surface area in North America?
69. What is the second largest lake in Turkey known for its large sodium sulfate reserves?
70. Which is the largest lake completely within the boundaries of India?
71. What is the name of the largest lake in Israel, often mistaken for a sea?
72. Which is the largest lake in Southeast Asia by area?
73. Which lake is the largest freshwater lake by area in Africa?
74. Which freshwater lake in Greece is known for its stunning lagoon-like appearance?
75. What is the largest lake by area in the United Kingdom?
76. Which lake in Rajasthan, India is known for its picturesque beauty and palaces?
77. What is the largest lake in the Alps?
78. Which lake has the longest shoreline in the world?
79. Which Canadian lake is the home to the world’s largest lake island?
80. What is the largest lake in the world that does not empty into an ocean?
81. Which lake in the United States has been called the “American Dead Sea”?
82. What is the second largest lake in South America by surface area?
83. Which lake, situated in a rift valley, is the third largest in Asia by volume?
84. What Siberian lake is home to about 1700 species of plants and animals, two thirds of which can be found nowhere else in the world?
85. What’s the name of the lake located at the foot of the Matterhorn?
86. Which lake in the USA holds the record for the most fish species?
87. What lake in New Zealand is known for its distinctive blue color due to its glacial feed?
88. What is the largest lake entirely within Canada?
89. What is the largest artificial lake and reservoir in the world?
90. Which lake in the Himalayas is considered sacred in four religions; Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Bon?
91. Which lake in Austria is known for its clear water and is a popular summer tourist destination?
92. What is the largest lake in China by area?
93. Which lake in South America is known as ‘The Sea of Seven Colors’?
94. What is the largest lake entirely in Sweden?
95. Which lake located between Nepal and the Tibet Autonomous Region is considered sacred by both Hindus and Buddhists?
96. What lake in Tanzania is known for its alkaline waters and the flamingos that feed on algae there?
97. Which lake, shared by Argentina and Chile, is known for its glacier-fed turquoise water?
98. What is the highest lake in the United States?
99. What is the deepest lake in Central America?
100. Which lake in Sri Lanka is a man-made reservoir named after a city?
101. In which U.S state will you find Lake Okeechobee?
102. Which high-altitude lake in India was formed by a meteor impact?
103. What lake in Russia is the second largest freshwater lake by volume in the world, after Lake Baikal?
104. What is the largest lake in the Balkans?
105. What is the largest natural lake in France?
106. Which lake in Spain is the largest lake by area in the Iberian Peninsula?
107. What is the largest lake in the Nordic countries?
108. Which lake in Switzerland is known for its crescent shape and the vineyards on its shores?
109. What is the largest lake in Germany by surface area?
110. Which lake in the United States is primarily fed by hot springs and does not completely freeze in winter, despite its high-altitude location?
111. What is the largest lake located entirely in Italy?
112. What is the largest lake in Iran?
113. What is the second largest freshwater lake in the Philippines?
114. What is the largest lake in the South Island of New Zealand?
115. Which lake in Scotland is the longest freshwater lake in the country?
116. What is the largest lake in South Korea?
117. Which lake in Romania is known as an anthropic storage lake and is the largest one in the country?
118. What is the largest lake in the Republic of Ireland?
119. What is the largest lake in Thailand?
120. What is the largest lake in the Netherlands?
121. What is the largest lake in Vietnam?
122. Which lake in Norway is the deepest in Europe?
123. What is the largest lake in Poland by area?
124. Which lake in Israel is known as a significant bird migration route with millions of birds passing through?
125. What is the largest lake in Ukraine?
Well, that’s a wrap, folks! We hope you had a “splashing” good time taking this quiz. Every drop of knowledge is a stepping-stone in the lake of learning. And remember, this is only the tip of the iceberg! There are many more quizzes waiting for you at Trivia Bliss. Sail on over and dive into more trivia treasure troves. Stay curious and keep learning!