Do you think you’re a head above the rest when it comes to hat trivia? Does the idea of tipping your hat to fascinating tidbits about everything from berets to bowlers make you brim with excitement? Does the thought of uncovering the crown jewels of hat history make you want to doff your hat? Then this quiz will be a feather in your cap! We’re tipping our hats off to some of the most intriguing, head-turning facts about hats from around the world. So, put on your thinking cap, because it’s time to get ahead in the game and top off your knowledge!
1. Who is credited with inventing the bowler hat?
2. What is the world’s largest hat size?
3. What is the name of the most expensive hat ever sold at auction?
4. Which country traditionally uses the Fez as a part of their cultural attire?
5. What is a bicorn hat?
6. What is the purpose of a hard hat?
7. What is the first known depiction of a hat?
8. Which culture is associated with the Panama hat?
9. What material is a traditional Stetson hat made from?
10. What iconic hat did Charlie Chaplin often wear?
11. Who was the first U.S. President to be inaugurated without a hat?
12. Which profession is most associated with the deerstalker hat?
13. How is the tricorn hat typically worn?
14. Where was the sombrero invented?
15. Who holds the record for the largest collection of hats?
16. What is the difference between a baseball hat and a baseball cap?
17. What is the average head size for hat fitting in adults?
18. Who is the most famous wearer of the Cat in the Hat’s hat?
19. How did the snapback get its name?
20. What does the term “mad as a hatter” refer to?
21. What hat did the famous fictional character Mad Hatter wear?
22. What hat is traditionally worn with a tuxedo?
23. What country is the beret associated with?
24. Which iconic character is known for his red and white striped hat?
25. What hat is commonly worn at the Kentucky Derby?
26. When was the boater hat popularized?
27. Who is traditionally known for wearing a toque?
28. How many folds are there in a traditional toque and what do they represent?
29. Which hat is also known as a slouch hat?
30. What is the purpose of the chin strap on a cowboy hat?
31. What hat also covers part of the face?
32. In what year was the baseball cap invented?
33. What is the purpose of the peak or “bill” of a cap?
34. What is the name of the hat traditionally worn by horse racing jockeys?
35. Which company was the first to put a logo on a baseball cap?
36. Which famous British regiment is known for their tall, black fur hats?
37. Which hat became popular among the American youth in the 1990s?
38. In which war did the helmet first replace the hat for soldiers?
39. What is the traditional color of a witch’s hat?
40. Who is known for wearing the Papal Tiara, a specific kind of hat?
41. What was the purpose of the Phrygian cap in ancient times?
42. Which Bavarian hat is known for having a small feather on the side?
43. What is the specific name of the fur hat worn by Canadian police in winter?
44. Which famous hat was originally made for the military but gained popularity among civilians in the 1940s?
45. Which hat style is characterized by a large brim that slopes downward?
46. Which hat style helped promote the image of the “flapper”?
47. What is the world’s oldest preserved hat?
48. What hat is traditionally worn by cowboys?
49. Which hat is often associated with married Zulu women in South Africa?
50. Which hat is usually decorated with badges or patches?
51. Who invented the top hat?
52. What is the official hat of the Boy Scouts of America?
53. What clothing garment comes with a built-in hat?
54. What traditional Chinese hat was worn by men along with their Hanfu clothing?
55. What is the brimless cap with a flat crown, typically worn by men in East Africa?
56. Who is famous for wearing a bicorn hat?
57. What type of hat is Sherlock Holmes often depicted wearing?
58. What is a fascinator?
59. Which hat is most associated with the traditional attire of the Quechua and Aymara people of the Andes?
60. What is a traditional hat worn by Jewish men called?
61. In what kind of environment would you typically see a pith helmet?
62. Who typically wears a Biretta?
63. What does a white hat symbolize in Western films?
64. What is the traditional hat of Vietnam called?
65. What is a “Shako” hat?
66. What type of hat is a “Capotain”?
67. What type of hat was popular in the United States during the 19th century and worn by Abraham Lincoln?
68. What are the colors of Holly Golightly’s iconic hat in Breakfast At Tiffany’s?
69. Who are typically seen wearing Mitre hats?
70. What is the tall fur hat worn by guards at Buckingham Palace called?
71. What is a cocktail hat?
72. What is the traditional headwear of Korean women for ceremonial occasions?
73. What type of hat is associated with the iconic image of Uncle Sam?
74. Who typically wears a Coonskin cap?
75. Which hat is made from the wool of Qiviut, the muskox’s underhair?
76. What kind of hat did Winston Churchill famously wear?
77. What hat style is commonly associated with artists and intellectuals?
78. Which hat style was particularly popular among women during the Edwardian era?
79. What do you call a small hat with a flat top and round sides?
80. Which hat, associated with the American Old West, was favored by cavalry and outdoorsmen?
81. Which cartoon character is often depicted wearing a red cowboy hat?
82. What traditional Japanese hat is worn by farmers and in traditional theatre?
83. Why do soldiers wear tall hats?
84. What are flat caps called in Ireland?
85. What hat style is typically worn by Hasidic Jewish men?
86. What can be found stuck in Robin Hood’s hat?
87. What type of cap is traditionally worn by baseball players?
88. Which 1990s music group made the “Buffalo hat” famous?
89. What color is the pompom on a Balmoral cap?
90. What type of hat did American frontiersman Davy Crockett popularize?
91. What hat style became popular in the U.S. following the release of the film “Indiana Jones”?
92. What material is a Panama hat traditionally made from?
93. What type of hat does the character Paddington Bear wear?
94. What is the name of the iconic anthropomorphic hat from the Harry Potter series?
95. What hat style is often associated with gangsters in the 1920s and 1930s?
96. What is the name of a women’s bell-shaped hat?
97. What style of hat is traditional in Bolivia for women?
98. What hat did the mythical Robin Hood wear?
99. What material is a boater hat made out of?
100. What hat is worn by horse racing jockeys?
101. What hat is associated with a chef’s uniform?
102. What’s the typical hat worn during a Mexican fiesta?
103. What type of hat is most closely associated with Sherlock Holmes?
104. What type of hat is a “Balmoral”?
105. Which type of cap is traditionally worn during graduation ceremonies?
106. What type of hat is known for its pointed top and wide circular brim?
107. What is a distinctive feature of a newsboy cap?
108. Who popularized the fruit hat?
109. What hat style is often associated with sailors and navy personnel?
110. What type of hat did Michael Jackson famously wear beginning in 1983?
111. Which hat is characterized by a small, circular brim, and a depression in the crown?
112. What hat style is often associated with the Amish and Mennonite communities?
113. Which hat style was popularized by the character Oddjob in James Bond’s “Goldfinger”?
114. What is the tall, white, pleated chef’s hat called?
115. What is the traditional hat of Tibet?
116. What hat is popular in the United Arab Emirates and Oman?
117. What hat was commonly worn by the Vikings?
118. What hat is traditionally worn with a tuxedo?
119. What hat is traditionally worn by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police?
120. What color is youth literary heroine Madeline’s hat?
121. What type of hat is worn by men in traditional Saudi Arabian dress?
122. What flowers can be seen poking out of the hat of Mary Poppins?
123. What does the piece of paper attached to the hat of the Mad Hatter from “Alice in Wonderland” say?
124. Which hat is most closely associated with the Canadian winter?
125. What colors can be seen on Santa Claus’s hat?
126. What is the traditional headwear worn by Sikh men?
127. Which hat style was popularized by the character Rocky Balboa?
128. What hat is most associated with flamenco dancers?
129. What children’s hat shares a name with the haircut commonly worn by the Beatles in the early 1960s?
130. What is the characteristic hat worn by drovers in Australia?
131. What hat does a marching band drum major usually wear?
132. What type of hat did comedian Harpo Marx often wear?
133. What hat style is commonly associated with French artist Toulouse-Lautrec?
134. What is a distinctive feature of the Tricorn hat?
135. What type of hat is often seen on gondoliers in Venice?
136. What type of hat is associated with Matt Smith’s iteration of the Doctor on BBC’s Doctor Who?
137. What hat style is often seen in traditional Chinese attire?
138. Which hat style is also known as the 8/4 or the Gatsby?
139. What hat is often worn by Buddhist monks in East Asia?
140. What hat style is often seen in traditional Swiss dress?
141. What type of hat does a traditional witch in folklore often wear?
Thank you for sticking your hat into this trivia ring! We hope this hatty journey was a tip-top experience for you. Whether you’ve managed to pull the right answers out of the hat or not, we trust you’ve had a hat-tastic time. And remember, the right hat can make you feel like a million bucks, so never underestimate the power of a good chapeau. Doffing our hats to you all, we say, until the next trivia adventure!
Feel free to browse through our extensive collection of trivia quizzes on Trivia Bliss. Whether your passion lies in sports, entertainment, history, or more, we’ve got a trivia hat that will surely fit you perfectly. Hat’s all, folks!