Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to our wonderfully whimsical, astonishingly anachronistic, and fantastically ’50s trivia quiz! We’re going to take you on a trip down memory lane, back to a time when Elvis was the King, poodle skirts were all the rage, and televisions were just beginning to creep into living rooms! So, grab your coonskin cap, do a quick jive to get that blood flowing, and prepare to have a blast from the past!
Remember, each question is a slice of life from the ’50s, with a side serving of puns to keep things light-hearted. It’s time to test your trivia talent for a time that’s truly timeless!
1. Who became the President of the United States in 1953?
2. Which sci-fi film directed by Robert Wise was released in 1951?
3. In 1950, what war began on the Korean peninsula?
4. Which Peanuts character, created by Charles M. Schulz, made their debut in 1950?
5. In which state is Disneyland, which opened in 1955?
6. What was the first color TV show broadcasted in 1951?
7. Which famous film star, known for her blonde bombshell characters, died in 1957?
8. Who was the author of the novel “East of Eden” published in 1952?
9. Which infamous gangster was arrested in 1957?
10. Which musician released the hit song “Hound Dog” in 1956?
11. In what year was the popular children’s toy, the Hula Hoop, introduced?
12. Who wrote the groundbreaking novel ‘Lolita’, published in 1955?
13. What famous American diner chain was founded in 1953?
14. What iconic movie monster made his debut in 1954?
15. In what year was the first successful polio vaccine developed?
16. Who was the first woman to fly faster than the speed of sound, achieving this feat in 1953?
17. What company introduced the instant camera in 1950?
18. Who composed the musical ‘West Side Story’, which opened on Broadway in 1957?
19. Which country hosted the Summer Olympics in 1952?
20. Which actress starred in the 1950 film ‘Sunset Boulevard’?
21. Which cereal company introduced Frosted Flakes in 1952?
22. Who was the first American winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1950?
23. What was the name of the first atomic submarine launched by the USA in 1954?
24. What was the name of the Soviet leader during the 1950s?
25. Who was the author of “The Catcher in the Rye” published in 1951?
26. What famous fast-food restaurant chain was founded in 1955?
27. Which famous American actor starred in the 1956 film ‘The Searchers’?
28. Who released the hit song “Johnny B. Goode” in 1958?
29. Which country launched the first artificial satellite in 1957?
30. What major civil rights event occurred in 1955 in Montgomery, Alabama?
31. Which new state was added to the United States in 1959?
32. Who was the female protagonist in the 1959 film ‘Some Like It Hot’?
33. What popular toy was first introduced by Play-Doh in 1956?
34. What was the name of the first man-made object to reach the moon in 1959?
35. Who won the World Series in baseball in 1955?
36. Which famous scientist and mathematician died in 1955?
37. In the year 1954, what eye-popping fashion accessory did Marilyn Monroe make famous?
38. Who was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom for most of the 1950s?
39. What was the name of the first weather satellite, launched in 1959?
40. What novel by Harper Lee, set in the Depression-era Southern United States, was published in 1959?
41. Which famous Beatnik writer published “On the Road” in 1957?
42. What was the top-grossing film of 1959?
43. Who was the first African-American player in the Major League Baseball, breaking the color barrier in 1950?
44. Which car company launched the ‘Corvette’ in 1953?
45. Who was the first American to win the Nobel Prize in Physics in the 1950s?
46. What iconic dancing style became popular among teenagers in the 1950s?
47. Which iconic Disney film featuring a princess and her wicked stepmother was released in 1950?
48. Who painted the famous “No. 5, 1948” artwork that was sold in a private sale in 1950?
49. Who was the famous American actress who died mysteriously while yachting in 1959?
50. Which famous music group was formed in Liverpool, England in 1959?
51. What was the name of the contraceptive pill approved by the FDA in 1957?
52. What type of music, characterized by improvisation, emerged in the 1950s?
53. In 1950, the comic strip character Dennis the Menace appeared in what newspaper?
54. Who was the first man to run a mile in under four minutes in 1954?
55. What was the famous line of toys introduced by Mattel in 1959?
56. What classic television show featuring Lucille Ball premiered in 1951?
57. What car model did Ford Motor Company introduce in 1955?
58. The popular TV show “Gunsmoke” premiered in what year?
59. Who was the famous artist behind the creation of the iconic Campbell’s Soup Cans in the 1950s?
60. What iconic horror film, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was released in 1959?
61. What iconic dance, often performed in high school gyms, emerged in the 1950s?
62. Which science fiction television series first aired in 1959?
63. Which award-winning playwright wrote ‘The Crucible’ in 1953?
64. Who was the first African American to win an Academy Award for Best Actress in 1954?
65. What life-changing invention was introduced by Texas Instruments in 1954?
66. What famous novel by Ayn Rand was published in 1957?
67. Who was the host of the television game show ‘The Price is Right’ when it debuted in 1956?
68. Who became the first American woman to win the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1958?
69. What was the famous theory proposed by scientist James Watson in 1953?
70. What child toy, powered by a user’s own breath, became popular in the 1950s?
71. Which famous American singer, known as the “King of Rock and Roll,” made his television debut in 1956?
72. What was the name of the first commercial jet airliner to fly in 1952?
73. In what state did the landmark desegregation case, Brown vs. Board of Education, take place in 1954?
74. What famous American movie actor starred in the film “Rebel Without a Cause” in 1955?
75. Who set a record by hitting 130 home runs in a single season in 1954?
76. What 1950 Billie Holiday song would later be inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame?
77. What key piece of civil rights legislation was signed into law by President Eisenhower in 1957?
78. What kitchen appliance, now a staple in most homes, became popular in the 1950s?
79. Which famous actor and director starred in the 1956 film “The Ten Commandments”?
80. The first “Peanuts” comic strip by Charles Schulz was published in what year?
81. Who was the famous star of the 1952 film “Singin’ in the Rain”?
82. What was the first animated feature in CinemaScope released by Disney in 1955?
83. Who was the 1954 Nobel Prize winner in Literature?
84. What was the name of the first ever credit card, launched in 1950?
85. In 1953, who was Coronated as Queen of the United Kingdom?
86. What was the name of the famous American dancer who starred in the 1951 film “An American in Paris”?
87. What three Asian countries did President Eisenhower pledge to defend from communism in 1954?
88. What controversial book did Vladimir Nabokov publish in 1955?
89. What significant historical event occurred in Little Rock, Arkansas, in 1957?
90. Which infamous novel by J.R.R Tolkien was published in 1954?
91. What famous Beat Generation novel did Jack Kerouac publish in 1957?
92. In 1952, Albert Einstein was offered the presidency of which country?
93. What famous television show did Rod Serling create in 1959?
94. Which company introduced the first color television in 1953?
95. Who made the first ascent of Mount Everest in 1953?
96. What famous children’s book series, written by Theodor Geisel, debuted in 1957?
97. What was the name of the first effective vaccine against polio, which was introduced in 1955?
98. Who became the leader of the Soviet Union after Joseph Stalin’s death in 1953?
99. What famous sweaters, featuring a geometric design, became popular in the 1950s?
100. Who wrote “The Old Man and the Sea”, which won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1953?
That was the end of our 1950s trivia time travel! We hope you had a swell time and learned something new about this fab decade. Don’t let the fun end here, Trivia Bliss has a smorgasbord of other quizzes to test your knowledge across a wide range of topics, including quizzes about the 1940s, easy 1960s trivia, standard 1960s trivia, easy 1970s trivia, standard 1970s trivia, and more. So, go ahead and dive into another trivia treasure trove! Stay curious and keep quizzin’.